Moderator: Joby21

pandan
Ex-GM

19-Oct-52: This Is Your Captain Speaking #1: Expect Turbulence

Post by pandan » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:48 am

This Is Your Captain Speaking
Issue 1: Expect Turbulence
19-Oct-52

The Sao Paulo Pilots finished 7th (out of 8, mind you) in the Global Baseball Consortium in 2052. This is after years and years of winning baseball. Suddenly, the most well-paid team in the GBC was 15 games below .500 and adjacent in the standing to the London Monarchs and their .296 winning percentage.

At the conclusion of the season, changes were made. A new GM, Dan Rigatoni, arrives in Sao Paulo to take on the job as General Manager. No one really knows who this Rigatoni guy is, but he visited a Brazilian Steakhouse once, and enjoyed the experience enough to pull the trigger on a major relocation from his home in the United States.

"Have you ever been to Fogo De Chao? I had it once in Philly. Thirty-two unique cuts of meat. Thirty-two!" he said. Rigatoni seldom revealed personal details, but he loved to talk about food. He also was keen to talk baseball, but was reserved in making any sweeping statements about what he'd do now that he's here. Of course, he also learned after arriving that his boss was also quitting, having sold the team to a new owner.

Naim Diya Al Din, owner of the Pilots, sold the team to the self-described "eccentric industrialist", Abdul-Hadi Masruq. When asked about the change, Rigatoni shrugged. "Diya Al Din seemed like a great guy. I haven't met Masruq yet, but I'm sure it'll be fine." Reports later would say that Rigatoni was relieved about the change, noting how Diya Al Din wanted him to re-sign Dick Van Capelle while also upgrading at catcher. From initial talks, Masruq seems more focused on outcomes, not inputs. Every goal Masruq set is explicitly related to the win column, which Rigatoni can get behind.

The GM and Owner changes aren't the only things changing down in Brazil. Rigatoni walked into the locker room to find many players angry and upset. Some with themselves, some with each other. "They were saltier than smoked trout", Rigatoni stated plainly. "I don't even need to worry about cleaning house," he shared, "The players are tidying themselves up and walking out on their own."

However, seeking some stability, Rigatoni hustled to re-sign as much of the coaching staff in his organization as he could. Could the coaching be improved? Rigatoni seems to think so, but he also needs to spend time with his leadership to determine who is worth keeping and better understand the coaching market. While most of the coaching staff will be the same, Rigatoni expects to field a different team in 2053.

"I'm expecting turbulence, no doubt" Rigatoni shared. "It's inevitable in times of change. I hope the fans are willing to buckle in with us and enjoy the ride."

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 19-Oct-52: This Is Your Captain Speaking #1: Expect Turbulence

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:01 pm

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 1088 times

Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg (7.38 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
ImageImageImageImageImage

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:18 pm

Great opening post. I was taking a similar approach with London before the Nine came calling. good luck!
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:19 am

Thanks -- we'll see how it goes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sao Paulo Pilots”