Hammer Time 2051.6 - Struck Gold?

GM: Jesse Stollings

Moderator: Jess64

WestCoastStros
Ex-GM

Hammer Time 2051.6 - Struck Gold?

Post by WestCoastStros » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:45 pm

The surprise of Spring Training for Jerusalem was a very welcome – some would say necessary – one as Rule 5 draft pick ShakirAbdul not only showed he can hang with big leaguers after a massive jump from A-ball last year, but posted the best stats of any pitcher on staff. Converting from the rotation to bullpen, at least in his initial taste of GBC ball, the 24-year-old allowed just a single earned run in 11.1 IP (0.79 ERA) with a whopping 18.3 K/9 rate. Scouts quickly flocked to catch an appearance in the final week of the spring and noted his stuff regularly touched 100mph, blowing by hitters with improved control reportedly thanks to a minor adjustment to his mechanics.

A no-frills minor league signing with Nashville as a 16yo back in 2043, the Egyptian’s early development was almost completely stagnant until a trade to Yellow Springs, where he quickly took a jump forward after being mired in rookie ball for years, earning a call-up to A. Suddenly recording four 10+ K games in 2050 alone (notably, with none lasting more than 5.1 IP), the 6’6 hurler seemed to be coming into his own finally but was ticketed for free agency when not added to the 40-man roster. He quickly signed with Sydney this offseason, but was snagged by suddenly pitcher-needy Jerusalem with the final pick of the Rule 5 draft. It remains to be seen if he may be considered for a rotation spot given his personal history and the team considered thin on starters, but early returns would indicate that club brass is content to sit tight for the time being while allowing Abdul to gain some confidence in low-leverage situations, though multi-inning stints are certainly not off the table.

KVDPoorten
Ex-GM

Re: Hammer Time 2051.6 - Struck Gold?

Post by KVDPoorten » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:55 am

Still mad about this :D
I went back and forth if I should protect him but decided he was not ready yet for an active roster spot so no one would pick him... :doh:
Sydney Sharks GM (2051 - ... )

WestCoastStros
Ex-GM

Re: Hammer Time 2051.6 - Struck Gold?

Post by WestCoastStros » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:58 am

I'll admit he was not #1 on my list, but I was pretty excited to have gotten him...he's taken to the pen very, very well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers”