Hammer Time 2045.4- Draft Press Conference

GM: Zachary Moore-Smith

Moderator: drzachary

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Hammer Time 2045.4- Draft Press Conference

Post by chicoruiz » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:01 pm

“I just don’t understand”, I said. “Last year we just sent out a press release about our draft. Why do we have to rent out a hotel conference room and have a whole big press conference this year?”

“It’s called marketing, Chico”, said Chaim. “And it’s too late to change anything now. You’re here, the press is here, and it’s time. Now get out there and do your job. And try to relax; you’re sweating like Spartacus.”

“Can’t help it. I get nervous speaking in front of crowds.”

I needn’t have worried. The crowd was exactly two reporters, neither of whom I recognized, and neither of whom looked too excited to be there. “Um, hi guys”, I started. “Is this all that’s coming?”

“Probably so”, said one of them. “There’s a press event for the cat show going on down the hall, and most of the reporters went to that. The young lady who’s presenting it is very… gifted, and when she bends over to handle the cats, you can really… appreciate her gifts.”

“Well, I wouldn’t want to keep you gentlemen from entertainment like that, so let’s get this thing going.”

I started on my prepared statement. “In the just-concluded UMEBA draft, Jerusalem has selected ten pitchers and ten position players. With the first pick, we took pitcher Mokichi Yamamoto. He’s 19, but very advanced, and he will report to our AA team in Buenos Aires. We think he has top-level talent and the intangibles to be a terrific addition to our organization.

“In the second round, we took Korean outfielder Dae Hwang who will start at our single-A team in Tokyo. We think he can excel at any of the outfield slots, and like Yamamoto, he has the leadership ability and character we’re trying to build around.

“In the third round… you know what, guys? You can just read this off the handout sheets. Bottom line is, we took a bunch of guys we think are pretty good, but you probably won’t see any of them here for a couple of years, so there’s no sense worrying about them until they start to have some kind of a track record. We did do one unusual thing: we signed a 16-year-old kid, Beni Ihilani. He’s going to be a very tough sign- his parents want him to finish school- but if you’re looking for a cute feature story, that’s probably it.

“So grab one of the handouts, and as far as I’m concerned, you can go.”

In fact, Chaim and I went with them… next door to where the cat show event was. And they were right…that young lady was quite gifted.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

RichY
Ex-GM

Re: Hammer Time 2045.4- Draft Press Conference

Post by RichY » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:30 am

"Bottom line is, we took a bunch of guys we think are pretty good, but you probably won’t see any of them here for a couple of years, so there’s no sense worrying about them" :D I think that's what a lot of GM's want to say.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers”