Hammer Time 2045.3- Opening Eve

GM: Zachary Moore-Smith

Moderator: drzachary

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Hammer Time 2045.3- Opening Eve

Post by chicoruiz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:16 am

If you go up on the roof of the Jerusalem stadium, you can sit on the edge between home and third, and let your feet dangle over the front of the roof, and look beyond the big city buildings to see the sun set over the desert. It’s pretty spectacular. That’s what Chaim, Miriam and I were doing the night before our home opener. We’d been working like Roman galley slaves getting everything ready, but we were pretty much done, and we needed to take some time to have a beer and just exhale.

“So Miriam, how are you and Adam Backhouse getting along these days” asked Chaim, with a sidelong glance at me.

“Meh, it’s over. He is not a horrible person, but he is a baseball player, and they are all, in the last analysis, scum. And you, Chaim… how are you and your Japanese translator doing?”

“She dumped me… said I wasn’t husband material”-there was a pause- “Which I’m probably not at this point…”

I steered the conversation back to happier topics. “Well, I think we should feel good about what we’ve done to get ready for the season. The park looks immaculate, and I think the team will be at least somewhat better. I wish we could have done more to improve the roster, but I didn’t want to spend big money until we’re a little bit closer to contention. This year’s goals are finding some reliable starting pitchers, and building the farm system up to where we don’t have to pick someone up off the street every time there’s an injury. But I’m not gonna worry about that right this minute- it’s opening day, and that’s always been extra special to me.”

“How so?” asked Chaim.

“Well, I grew up in a city called Cincinnati, and opening day there is a huge deal- a parade and everything. Plus there’s just something about opening day. It’s like when you go to a movie you’ve been waiting to see, and you see the title credits start. Or when you open a new book by your favorite author, and hear the little crack that a brand new book makes when you open its cover for the first time. Or go up the first hill on a roller coaster. You don’t exactly know what’s coming, but you know there are going to be parts of it that will stay with you forever.”

We clinked our Goldstar bottles together. “Here’s to 2045.. whatever it brings us, let’s enjoy the ride.”
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

RichY
Ex-GM

Re: Hammer Time 2045.3- Opening Eve

Post by RichY » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:45 am

I love the image on the first paragraph, sitting on the roof chatting as the sun sets. Good stuff. Good luck and good health this year.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers”