Hammer Times 2044- Chapter 2

GM: Zachary Moore-Smith

Moderator: drzachary

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Hammer Times 2044- Chapter 2

Post by chicoruiz » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:30 pm

As a youngster in Sunday School, I was always hearing about “the triumphal entry into Jerusalem”. Suffice to say, my own entry didn’t quite measure up…

It started when my plane landed, and I was unable to figure out which light rail would take me to the ball park (I had decided to go to the park before I even checked into my hotel, hoping it would make a good impression on…whomever). Ownership had named the park “the Holy Land” (apparently modesty was not an issue for them), so when I asked passers-by how to get to the holy land, it caused a bit of confusion. This eventually led to a group of fellow Americans taking me under their wing, but as luck would have it, it was a bad decision on my part. They turned out to be a tour group from some Southern fundamentalist sect, and when we descended from the train with no ballpark in sight, I discovered it was their intent to baptize me in the Jordan River, forcibly if necessary. I was able to fight my way clear (they were mostly elderly folks) but when I finally managed to backtrack and get on the right train, my spirits were fairly low.

I was standing outside the main gates of the park, collecting myself, when I heard a voice over my shoulder say, “Pretty cool, isn’t it… a place where Jew, Christian and Moslem alike can forget their differences and join together in hating the home plate umpire”.

I turned and saw a weedy young man, probably in his mid-20s, wearing chinos and a polo shirt, and trying with very limited success to grow a moustache. “I’m Chaim”, he said, “assistant GM. And you must be Chico Ruiz, although I didn’t expect you to show up wet from the knees down”.

“Kind of a long story”, I replied. “Are you American? You sound more like me than anyone I’ve met so far”.

“Nah, I’m a local. But I did two and a half years at Kent State in business administration before the money ran out”.

“So now your plan is a career in baseball administration?”

“No, my plan is to marry Gal Gadot and live on her earnings. But with me back here and her spending so much time in Hollywood, I need something to kill time until destiny brings us together. Come on, let me show you your office”.

My office turned out to be semi-spacious; I wished I was more deserving of it. I was a bit surprised to see what I thought was a teenage boy sitting in my chair with his back to me, wearing jeans and a sleeveless white tee. I cleared my throat. “Uh, excuse me…”

The chair swiveled around and I was surprised to see that it was actually a girl. Really a kind of attractive girl if you like the tomboy type. “Hi Miriam” said Chaim. This is Miriam…she’s your secretary”.

“Administrative assistant”, she corrected, smiling and displaying super-white teeth. They obviously had access to good dentistry in Jerusalem.

“Hi Miriam. Hope you’ll be patient with me; I’ve never had an administrative assistant before”.

“That’s okay; I’ve never been one before. Last season I was on the grounds crew. We all do more than one job here. This year I will still have to help roll out the tarp when it rains. Which of course it almost never does..”

“Well,” I said trying to test my shaky authority, “I’m going to go check into my hotel, then I’ll come back and we better get started. We need to hire a coaching staff and get some bids out on free agents ASAP”.

Chaim and Miriam looked at each other, then back at me sheepishly. “Well…we kind of did that stuff already.”
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Hammer Times 2044- Chapter 2

Post by jleddy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:58 am

👏🏻
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

gcsii99
Ex-GM

Post by gcsii99 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:21 pm

nice read!

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:10 am

A leader is only as good as their staff.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

allenciox
Ex-GM

Post by allenciox » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Very creative writing... I can really "see" you getting into the role.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers”