Mumbai Memos: 38.026: Draft Prep in Mumbai

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Mumbai Memos: 38.026: Draft Prep in Mumbai

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:59 pm

[We're watching a segment of an upcoming documentary special for UMEBA Tonight! about the league’s upcoming amateur draft. A handheld camera pans around a large conference table where Metro Stars GM Vic Caleca, Assistant GM Cristo Beltrán, and members of the team’s scouting and administrative staff stare at laptops showing videos and other data about draft prospects. At the front of the room is a large white board filled with names, numbers and Post-It notes …]

Vic Caleca: (Exhales heavily, and runs a hand through his hair) So, let me get this straight. You’ve got this Doubleday kid rated a 12 – on a 10-point scale, mind you – for contact, but he’s only played one year of high school ball and he batted … (clicks through to a new page on his laptop) … let me get this right – .178.

GM Caleca
So, is he Abner Doubleday? Is that why a .178 hitter is rated a 12 for contact? Because I’m also showing that he struck out about 20 percent of his at-bats … he was contacting what, exactly? Air?

Cristo Beltrán: Those ratings are UMEBA relative ratings, by the way, and they're based on more than his one year in high school, Vic. We also attended a number of his workouts, where he hit in simulated game conditions. And his first name is Bryan, by the way. Not Abner.

Caleca: OK, so we went to some of Bryan’s workouts … and who was pitching to him? Professionals, I hope?

Beltrán: Well, his uncle …

Caleca: His uncle?

Beltrán: His uncle plays semi-pro ball in Adelaide and actually has a couple of decent pitches …

Caleca: (Sighs heavily) For Pete’s sake, Carlos. You want me to invest our first round pick – the number two overall pick in the draft, mind you – in this kid because he can blister his uncle’s pitching?

Bryan Doubleday
Beltrán: No, Vic, of course not … well, yeah, actually. But not just that … our scouts say he’s got elite bat control and he swings one of the fastest bats they’ve ever seen.

Caleca: Against his uncle. In Adelaide. Jesus, Carlos. Who else we looking at here?

Beltrán: (Looks at his laptop screen, clicks on a name and calls up a profile) OK, we do really like this kid, Blake Bell. He’s a corner outfielder, which I know isn’t ideal, but the scouts grade him at a 9 for contact potential with decent power.

And, I’m quoting here: “Bell is projected to be an above average, everyday big league player.”

Caleca: All right, that sounds more like it. So, what do his stats look like?

Beltrán: OK, says here he played one year of high school ball and hit … um …

Caleca: Yeah?

Beltrán: Um, .173 …

Caleca: (Red in the face and nearly shouting) Are you f#@$ing kidding me? You have got to be …

[The screen goes dark and the audio abruptly cuts out …]

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Mumbai Memos: 38.026: Draft Prep in Mumbai

Post by RonCo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:22 pm

:)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sydney Sharks”