Mumbai Memos: 38.007: The Irrepressible Wilbur Green

GM: Josh Brodsky

Moderator: Jim Leyritz

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Mumbai Memos: 38.007: The Irrepressible Wilbur Green

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:22 pm

(A snippet recorded from Metro Stars This Week! on 2038-05-11. The camera pans across to a female studio host sitting in a comfortable stuffed chair, which is in the Metro Stars colors of red and gold, across from a young man sitting in an identical chair.)

Shereen Malik: Welcome back to Metro Stars This Week! Joining us now is one of the team’s brightest new stars, outfielder Wilbur Green – in fact, he was just honored as the Bancroft League’s Player of the Week.
Shereen Malik
Welcome, Wilbur. It’s nice to have you here on Metro Stars This Week! And congratulations on the award!

Wilbur Green: Well, thanks for having me, Ms. Malik. It’s a pleasure.

Shereen: Please, call me Shereen.

Wilbur: All righty, Shereen!

Shereen: You’ve made quite the splash this season with your power hitting. It’s only May 11, and you already have 13 home runs. That’s quite a pace!

Wilbur: I don’t know about that, but I do know there’s one thing I love to do more than just about anything and that’s crush a fastball. That’s just the best. Well, unless it’s crushing a hanging curve ball. That’s pretty damn good, too. Or a slider that don’t slide.

Shereen: You love to hit!

Wilbur: F@#!*ing A!

Shereen: Oh, um, Wilbur, we’re a family show. You’re going to need to be a little careful of your language.

Wilbur: Oh, sorry, Ma’am. I just get a little excited talking about hitting.

Shereen: That’s quite all right. We’ll bleep that out, don’t worry!

Wilbur: All righty. Sorry again.

Shereen: Now, you are from Sunnyvale, California, originally, correct?

Wilbur: The Vale! That’s right.

Shereen: And although you’re only 25, you’ve bounced around to a number of teams already.

Wilbur: Yeah. True. I was drafted in the fifth round in 2030 by the Atlantic City Gamblers, and I played in their minor league system for, oh, about six seasons. I thought I played pretty good for them – hell, in 2033 when I was at Trenton, I hit 36 homers. That ain’t too shabby, is it?
Wilbur Green

Shereen: I should say not.

Shereen: Wilbur!

Wilbur: Sorry, sorry. Excuse my French.

Shereen: I hardly think that word is French, Wilbur.

Wilbur: I don’t rightly know what it is – but it’s one of my favorite words!

Shereen: Apparently so. Well, I wanted to ask you – did you ever make it up to the BBA?

Wilbur: Well, sorta. In 2036 I got into two games for Atlantic City as a defensive replacement. I didn’t even get any at-bats. And that’s kinda funny, because defense isn’t really my thing.

Shereen: Don't tell me ...

Wilbur: I like to hit!

Shereen: You really do like to hit, don't you?

Wilbur: F#%& yeah!

Shereen: Oh good Lord. Our censor will be earning her pay this week!

Wilbur: Sorry again.

Shereen: It’s OK, I’m actually getting used to it. So, you certainly have done well since you came to the Metro Stars. How do you like it here?

Wilbur: Oh, I love Mumbai, and I will be forever grateful to Eduardo Leon, who was the general manager before Vic Caleca came in, for giving me this opportunity. I love my team and I love my teammates!

Shereen: Did the mission of the Unified Middle East Baseball Association – to help further the peace brokered by Barney Bancroft – appeal to you?

Wilbur: Huh?

Shereen: Was furthering that mission a reason you wanted to play here?

Wilbur: Oh, hell no. I ain’t a politician or diplomat or nothing. You know what I like to do, right?

Shereen: Hit a baseball?

Shereen: (Puts her head in her hands, then peeks out between her fingers and sighs) Oh well, what can I say? Thank you, Wilbur, for joining us today. I’m sure our viewers enjoyed your exuberance as much as they enjoy watching you hit!

Wilbur: (Looking confused) My exuber … what?

Shereen: Never mind, Wilbur.

Wilbur: I don’t know words all that well, but I do know how to hit homers!

Shereen: F@#!*ing A! (Sounds of the studio crew cracking up is audible in the background).

We’ll be back after – maybe – after this break to wrap up the show and take a look at what lies ahead for the Metro Stars this week!

(Wilbur leans forward in his chair to give Shereen a high five as the screen cuts to commercial)

Return to “Sydney Sharks”