Mumbai Memos: 38.005: Awkward Interview

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Mumbai Memos: 38.005: Awkward Interview

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:42 pm

Snippet of “Ask the Coach” segment of Metro Stars Manager Mark Bruner’s pre-game show on Mumbai's STAR Sports network telecast …

Host Ajay Dhawan: Ok, Mark, this next question is from a young fan who got hooked on the Metro Stars last season. Samar Dayal wants to know why you like to have center fielder António Ortíz lead off when he’s only hitting .202 on the season.
Mark Bruner
Mark Bruner: (Speaking in an audibly condescending tone) Well now, Samar asks an interesting question, and my answer has two parts: first, base hits are not the only way a ball player gets on base. Another important way is the base on balls, and Antonio draws a lot of them. In fact, he has as many walks as hits right now – 21!

The second part of my answer is that Antonio is really fast, and professional managers like to have speedy guys at the top of their batting orders because they can take extra bases and score more runs!

Dhawan: Well, coach, Samar apparently anticipated your answer because he has a follow-up question or two on his email here.

He says, “It’s true that Ortiz walks, and usually an .OBP in the .340s would be pretty good. But on this team so far, he actually ranks near the bottom for OBP. Wouldn’t it be better to use someone like Garrett Barnett or Gilbert Hansen in the leadoff spot, since they’re in the high .380s?

Bruner: Wait, how old did you say Shomar is?

Dhawar: That’s “Samar,” coach, and I didn’t say, but he’s 14.

Bruner: Huh – 14 you say? Well, OK. Um, well, the thing is that Ortíz is fast, and he can take the extra base …

Dhawar: I think Samar anticipated you'd go back to that, coach. He wonders “what good is speed if you’re not getting on base?”
António Ortíz

Bruner: (Now clearly annoyed, reaches for sheet of paper the host is holding) Can I see that question for a second?

(Snatches the paper and reads it quickly, shaking his head.)

Well, I’ll be damned … kid’s kind of a know-it-all, isn’t he? (Looks directly at the camera) Nobody likes a smart ass, Samar, just sayin’ …

Dhawar: (Grabs the sheet back, alarmed at this turn of events.) Um, OK, Coach Bruner. That’s all the time we have for “Ask the Manager” today. We’re going to take a quick station break, and we’ll be back with our starting lineups in just a moment!

Bruner: You bet your ass we will, and guess what, Samar? Rios is leading off. Because speed is impor …

The coach is abruptly cut off as the show cuts to commercial …

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Mumbai Memos: 38.005: Awkward Interview

Post by ae37jr » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:49 pm

Samar Dayal sounds like he is auditioning for an analytics job in Mumbai. He's right, you can't steal first base.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sydney Sharks”