Moderator: Jim Leyritz

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Mumbai Memos: 38.002: GM Voice Memo

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:10 pm

[Begin recording:]

Mumbai Metro Stars GM Vic Caleca voice memo of 2038/05/05

So, this happened today …

After wrapping up a TV interview, I came back to the office to close out my first day on the job and logged into our computer network, figuring I should check on the rosters and lineups for our minor league teams.

Everything was fine until I looked at Ho Chi Minh City. And then my socks practically rolled up and down.
The bullpen consisted of three (3) pitchers.

A closer and two setup guys.

So, I got on the horn to the manager, Giulio Cennini, and I said, ‘What the hell is going on over there with that bullpen? You’ve got three guys listed.”

And he said, ’Yes, I know. That’s what I’ve got. Three relief pitchers. But you know what else I got? Six bleepin’ shortstops. I got so many bleepin’ shortstops they could field their own team – except you wouldn’t want that, ‘cause none of ‘em is worth a damn.”

And he’s right: the Explorers have three relief pitchers and six ... pretty bad ... shortstops. I mean, what the hell? I appreciate what my predecessor, Eduardo León, did for the Metro Stars, but he pretty much screwed the pooch on Ho Chi Minh City.

Needless to say, this has quickly climbed up my priority list – I need to get Giulio some pitchers and lose him some shortstops.

Easier said than done, though. I hit the free agent wire for an hour or so and put out a bunch of feelers and got the same answer over and over again: no interest in playing here.

Part of it, I’m sure, is a reluctance to play in a foreign country. I get that. It can be uncomfortable. Another part of it, I’ve got to think, is that even with the peace deal that Barney Bancroft brokered, this league has teams in dangerous places. Sure, you can appeal to the idealism behind the UMEBA, but that doesn’t reach everyone.

So, bottom line, I wound up with one guy – Masatake Akiyama – who was willing to at least look at an offer, and I’ll hit the free agent list again tonight and tomorrow and probably the day after until we get some pitching help for the Explorers.

This job is going to be every bit as challenging as I thought.

One thing’s for sure: I’m gonna need some strong ass rubber bands, or something, to keep my socks under control …

[End Recording]

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Mumbai Memos: 38.002: GM Voice Memo

Post by recte44 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm

That’s definitely a challenge!

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Mumbai Memos: 38.002: GM Voice Memo

Post by RonCo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Sending extra strength rubber bands.

At least there's nowhere to go but up.