A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

GM: Mike Bieschke

Moderator: nerfHerder

User avatar
nerfHerder
UMEBA GM
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm
Location: MKE
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 46 times

A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by nerfHerder » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm

My Mumbai moment. I'll preface this by saying that I am very happy to be back in the BBA in some way shape or form. When I stepped away from Hawaii, after all of that work to get them on the cusp, it didn't seem right. I was burned out though. Writing is not my greatest skill. After 27 seasons in Hawaii, and 38 overall in the BBA, I couldn't get the energy to sit down and write. I loved tinkering with the roster. Playing with ticket prices. Adjusting the minor leagues and on and on. I had plenty of ideas to write about. Just no drive. I almost paid my 16 year old to write for me, but my morals shot that down. I even deleted OOTP20 from my laptop to just do a cleanse. I purchased OOTP21 to play a franchise with my Milwaukee Brewers beginning in 1978. Even the challenge of finding playing time for a 42 year old Hank Aaron couldn't satisfy whatever it was I was trying to satisfy. I checked the forum daily, multiple times a day. I still love the Tropics. In fact I'll say I'm their biggest fan not named James Walker. When Recte checked in to see if I'd like to come back and play around with Mumbai I didn't even think twice.

So far I am having a lot of fun. There are some familiar faces on the team in the form of Baltasar Fronteiro, who I acquired in Hawaii for Mei-shan Ngui, another UMEBA guy. There was Robert Gowron, a guy that I let go in Hawaii because he was a strikeout machine (I just cut his ass again). Dave Tallent was just signed. He was a high draft pick of mine who had a few really good seasons before fizzling out. Perfect UMEBA guy! There are others out there that I'd love to sign, but you can only do so much when you have some back contract you need to let expire. Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm having a great time. I'm looking forward to many more seasons ahead, whether it be Mumbai or somewhere else. Thanks to everyone that makes this great universe what it is, especially our great commish. It's the perfect diversion from all that is going on around us right now.

Image
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-?)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

User avatar
RonCo
GB: League Director
Posts: 15155
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:48 pm
Has thanked: 1093 times
Been thanked: 1290 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by RonCo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Actually, I love the idea of incorporating your kids into the league as staff writers.
Yellow Springs Nine
Playoff Regular, Landis Averse

User avatar
Dington
UMEBA GM
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:06 am
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 57 times
Contact:

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by Dington » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm

I've considered hiring writers, too. My favorite part is tinkering with rosters and I love the writing, but damn if it isn't time consuming/overwhelming.

User avatar
nerfHerder
UMEBA GM
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm
Location: MKE
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by nerfHerder » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:26 pm

RonCo wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:36 pm
Actually, I love the idea of incorporating your kids into the league as staff writers.
It’s tempting. I know you and I had a side discussion on this. My 16 year old absolutely loves creative writing. I’ve tried to bug him for ideas but I’m not cool enough for him right now. :)
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-?)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

User avatar
nerfHerder
UMEBA GM
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm
Location: MKE
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by nerfHerder » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Dington wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm
I've considered hiring writers, too. My favorite part is tinkering with rosters and I love the writing, but damn if it isn't time consuming/overwhelming.
Thanks. It’s good to know I’m not alone. Don’t get me wrong, the writing part is what makes this league so great. It’s just not easy sometimes.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-?)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

User avatar
johnd2442
UMEBA GM
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:47 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by johnd2442 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm

nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm
There are some familiar faces on the team in the form of Baltasar Fronteiro, who I acquired in Hawaii for Mei-shan Ngui, another UMEBA guy.
Mei-shan Ngui might be the best pitcher in the UMEBA right now!

I love the Mumbai Moment. That's a great title. I'm really fond of alliteration. But 38 BBA seasons! That's amazing! From when you decided to walk away to now, how long was that span of time that you took a break?
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

User avatar
nerfHerder
UMEBA GM
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm
Location: MKE
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by nerfHerder » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:53 pm

johnd2442 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm
nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm
There are some familiar faces on the team in the form of Baltasar Fronteiro, who I acquired in Hawaii for Mei-shan Ngui, another UMEBA guy.
Mei-shan Ngui might be the best pitcher in the UMEBA right now!

I love the Mumbai Moment. That's a great title. I'm really fond of alliteration. But 38 BBA seasons! That's amazing! From when you decided to walk away to now, how long was that span of time that you took a break?
41 days. Before that I took a break between Phoenix and Hawaii for about two weeks, and another break of about a half of a season from Hawaii only to come back when my replacement had to quit. I just can’t get enough! Real life time started in 2011.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-?)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

User avatar
johnd2442
UMEBA GM
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:47 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by johnd2442 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 pm

nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:53 pm
johnd2442 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm
nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm
There are some familiar faces on the team in the form of Baltasar Fronteiro, who I acquired in Hawaii for Mei-shan Ngui, another UMEBA guy.
Mei-shan Ngui might be the best pitcher in the UMEBA right now!
!
I love the Mumbai Moment. That's a great title. I'm really fond of alliteration. But 38 BBA seasons! That's amazing! From when you decided to walk away to now, how long was that span of time that you took a break?
41 days. Before that I took a break between Phoenix and Hawaii for about two weeks, and another break of about a half of a season from Hawaii only to come back when my replacement had to quit. I just can’t get enough! Real life time started in 2011.
Oh wow, not long! But I can believe it regarding not being able to get enough! While I've just started, and am kinda overwhelmed with downloading the league file and looking in the game, I love the fictional environment. I can only imagine, with that many seasons under your belt, it would be ingrained in you!
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

User avatar
Fat Nige
BBA GM
Posts: 2705
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, ENGLAND
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by Fat Nige » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:30 am

nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:53 pm
johnd2442 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm
nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm
There are some familiar faces on the team in the form of Baltasar Fronteiro, who I acquired in Hawaii for Mei-shan Ngui, another UMEBA guy.
Mei-shan Ngui might be the best pitcher in the UMEBA right now!

I love the Mumbai Moment. That's a great title. I'm really fond of alliteration. But 38 BBA seasons! That's amazing! From when you decided to walk away to now, how long was that span of time that you took a break?
41 days. Before that I took a break between Phoenix and Hawaii for about two weeks, and another break of about a half of a season from Hawaii only to come back when my replacement had to quit. I just can’t get enough! Real life time started in 2011.
I feel you Mike, I started when the BBA rebooted in 2010 real life (1995 BBA) and have been in and out ever since, quite often I can't live with it due to mental health and time, but I can't live without it either. My longest break was 2017 until 2024 BBA time. 33 seasons, or part of, in the BBA, EBA & UMEBA, I may not be loyal to a team, I get too frustrated for that, but I've been loyal to the league
Nigel Laverick
GM Wichita Aviators #WeAreShitty
Since September 2041


An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

E-Mail: nigel3123@gmail.com

User avatar
usnspecialist
GB: League Advisor
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 am
Location: Manama, Bahrain
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 350 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by usnspecialist » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:22 am

Always good to see you back Mike, and I had to laugh at your initial post because not only was I the guy you traded Ngui for in order to get Fronteiro, but a few months later I would package Ngui together in a bundle to get Gowron!! The world truly is one big circle.
Randy Weigand
Havana Sugar Kings/San Fernando Bears: 2032-
810-649

Landis Champion- 34
Johnson Champion- 34
Frick Champion- 36, 37
Johnson League Southern- 34
Frick League Pacific- 37, 39
,Wild Card- 33, 35, 36, 40

Image

User avatar
FuzzyRawley
BBA GM
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by FuzzyRawley » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:13 am

Fronteiro was my premier signing! I struggle to make an impact anywhere else. Good luck!
:cool: They say it don't be like it is, but it do!

User avatar
Dington
UMEBA GM
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:06 am
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 57 times
Contact:

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by Dington » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 am

nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 pm
Dington wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm
I've considered hiring writers, too. My favorite part is tinkering with rosters and I love the writing, but damn if it isn't time consuming/overwhelming.
Thanks. It’s good to know I’m not alone. Don’t get me wrong, the writing part is what makes this league so great. It’s just not easy sometimes.
I feel I'd be able to get more in depth and creative if I were to write TN every sim, but before I know it, we've simmed a month and I'm left with summarizing the previous 3-4 sims. I guess it's inspiration to make more money and retire sooner so I can have all the time! Still 13 years away from my plan of retiring at 45, though.

User avatar
nerfHerder
UMEBA GM
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm
Location: MKE
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by nerfHerder » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:00 pm

usnspecialist wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:22 am
Always good to see you back Mike, and I had to laugh at your initial post because not only was I the guy you traded Ngui for in order to get Fronteiro, but a few months later I would package Ngui together in a bundle to get Gowron!! The world truly is one big circle.

Thanks man. That’s a pretty funny circle. One of the intriguing things about the UMEBA to me is all of the old names floating around.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-?)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

User avatar
nerfHerder
UMEBA GM
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm
Location: MKE
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by nerfHerder » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Dington wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 am
nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 pm
Dington wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm
I've considered hiring writers, too. My favorite part is tinkering with rosters and I love the writing, but damn if it isn't time consuming/overwhelming.
Thanks. It’s good to know I’m not alone. Don’t get me wrong, the writing part is what makes this league so great. It’s just not easy sometimes.
I feel I'd be able to get more in depth and creative if I were to write TN every sim, but before I know it, we've simmed a month and I'm left with summarizing the previous 3-4 sims. I guess it's inspiration to make more money and retire sooner so I can have all the time! Still 13 years away from my plan of retiring at 45, though.
This is exactly me. I’d love to write little snippets, but time passes me by. Once my kids are older I should ok.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-?)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

User avatar
Dington
UMEBA GM
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:06 am
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 57 times
Contact:

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by Dington » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:03 pm

nerfHerder wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:01 pm
Dington wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 am
nerfHerder wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Thanks. It’s good to know I’m not alone. Don’t get me wrong, the writing part is what makes this league so great. It’s just not easy sometimes.
I feel I'd be able to get more in depth and creative if I were to write TN every sim, but before I know it, we've simmed a month and I'm left with summarizing the previous 3-4 sims. I guess it's inspiration to make more money and retire sooner so I can have all the time! Still 13 years away from my plan of retiring at 45, though.
This is exactly me. I’d love to write little snippets, but time passes me by. Once my kids are older I should ok.
Lol I feel ya. I have a two month old with colic, so yeah, that's fun.

User avatar
jleddy
GB: UMEBA Ambassador
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 5:46 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA
Has thanked: 2357 times
Been thanked: 733 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by jleddy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:03 pm

Dington wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm
I've considered hiring writers, too. My favorite part is tinkering with rosters and I love the writing, but damn if it isn't time consuming/overwhelming.
If we start to get a healthy waiting list, a good way to keep those guys involved is as a beat writer for a UMEBA or BBA team. I think Ryan, the Boise GM two or three removed from me, did that for team before he was handed the Spuds. cc: @RonCo, @Lane
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

User avatar
Lane
GB: PR Director/Historian
Posts: 4830
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 am
Location: Los Angeles
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by Lane » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm

jleddy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:03 pm
Dington wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm
I've considered hiring writers, too. My favorite part is tinkering with rosters and I love the writing, but damn if it isn't time consuming/overwhelming.
If we start to get a healthy waiting list, a good way to keep those guys involved is as a beat writer for a UMEBA or BBA team. I think Ryan, the Boise GM two or three removed from me, did that for team before he was handed the Spuds. cc: @RonCo, @Lane
It's been offered as an option for new applicants in the past, but it's never really stuck.
Stephen Lane
PR Director / Historian / Tech Support
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Image


Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

User avatar
RonCo
GB: League Director
Posts: 15155
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:48 pm
Has thanked: 1093 times
Been thanked: 1290 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by RonCo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 pm

The "beat writer" idea is a great way for a new GM to jump in. I did it myself for a short time when I came here. Wrote stuff before even applying. :)

The PPT accrues to the beat writer, though.
Yellow Springs Nine
Playoff Regular, Landis Averse

User avatar
usnspecialist
GB: League Advisor
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 am
Location: Manama, Bahrain
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 350 times

Re: A Mumbai Moment 2042.1 - A Familiar Face

Post by usnspecialist » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:40 pm

i had to do a "write-off" to join the league, and the guy I beat out was given the role as league wide beat writer with promise of next chair open being his. Fortunately for him I think a team opened up a week or two later but there has been things like that in the past.
Randy Weigand
Havana Sugar Kings/San Fernando Bears: 2032-
810-649

Landis Champion- 34
Johnson Champion- 34
Frick Champion- 36, 37
Johnson League Southern- 34
Frick League Pacific- 37, 39
,Wild Card- 33, 35, 36, 40

Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mumbai Metro Stars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest