58.01 Hard work pays off

GM: Kevin Spencer

Moderator: handaspencer

handaspencer
GBC GM

58.01 Hard work pays off

Post by handaspencer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:21 pm

As the new GM Spencer arrived at his London office yesterday I wanted to sit down and meet the team. Being away from the league for several years he had lost touch with many of the players and needed to catch up on things. I felt so honored to be able to take over an organization that was so solid. 8 franchise titles and 2 in the last 4 years I quickly realized its not about me but rather the team that I am so lucky to get to work with. Of course I asked all the normal questions like where do you live, tell me about your family etc... and that was all nice but I also asked them tell me about your hardest time you have gone through in the GBC. Even without knowing any of these guys I know enough about winners to know they also win outside the diamond with old fashioned hard work and overcoming adversity. Its grit and grind that wins championships and not always talent. I heard many wonderful adversity stories but one particular story jumped out at me and I wanted to share.

Michihiro Tanakahttps://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... 26671.html shared his story with me and I become so happy for this guy. Drafted 106th overall in the draft by Buenos his path to the GBC was a long shot the day he got drafted. Getting drafted is a joyous time for any young man but its really the beginning of a long road to make it to the show. Unfortunately most players never make it! 3 weeks after the draft and starting his minor league career he tore his labrum and was out for 8 months. For most pitchers drafted in the 13th round who tears a labrum all they have to show for it is stories around the camp fire for your friends as you get older.

Tanaka refused to let this be the end, he told me I was determined to overcome this and become a pro. He spent hours with the training staff and did everything medically that he was supposed to do to heal this injury. He was able to get back on the mound in 2054 and pitch in 53 games. Just when things was starting to settle down for him he gets traded to London in 2055. I was devastated at the time of the trade, I worked my tail off and my previous organization trades me Tanaka said. But what Tanaka failed to realize was London recognized that hard work and they wanted him to be part of this organization. Everything started to come together for him last year and he has had a 2 year stretch with London where he is arguably the best closer in the GBC. He is 32/35 in save opportunities this year, an ERA+ of 168 and a 2.40 ERA. His stuff and movement is almost unhittable.

Rather than tell everyone about GM Spencer and his vision and the changes he is going to make lets put the focus on the ones that matter. London has winners on this team and I am just lucky enough to be along for the ride. There is nothing I can do as GM to make these guys better I just need to embrace the talent collected in here. Getting to sit down with my squad and hearing these stories confirmed to me I joined the right organization because hard work is in my core belief system. I am looking forward to working with Tankaka and the rest of this hard working squad.

Chuck V
BBA GM

Re: 58.01 Hard work pays off

Post by Chuck V » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:40 pm

Welcome to the GBC!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “London Monarchs”