56.01 London Calling: GM Rigatoni Works The Phones

GM: Kevin Spencer

Moderator: handaspencer

pandan
Ex-GM

56.01 London Calling: GM Rigatoni Works The Phones

Post by pandan » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:31 pm

GM Dan Rigatoni arrives in London after an extended leave of absence. We caught up with the GM at the Fryer's Delight in Holborn as he cut into his deep fried haddock.

"You have to get it with the mushy peas," he insisted. "Americans like to rag on British dining, but how can you dislike this?"

Mushy peas aside, the new GM was hunched over his laptop trying to make sense of this new organization he was placed in charge of. Coming off a solid 3rd place finish in 2055 and with most of the team returning for 2056, London's well-positioned to make another run for the championship.

"To say 'my work here is done' would imply I did anything to get to this point," the GM smirked, "However, we all know I am inheriting a well-run club."

The GM continued to elaborate on his approach this off-season.

"Send out a ton of offers. There are a lot of older guys looking for work, and we have innings to eat. And if they don't want to eat innings, there are still the peas, after all."

The top team is mostly made up of returning players, but the cupboards are bare, especially in the pitching department. Few in the system look like locks for any playing time at the league's highest level, so anyone to keep the games watchable is getting a call from London.

"For starters, they need a pulse. Ideally, they throw left-handed. That's really all I can ask for right now."

With dozens of offers out and the rule 5 upcoming, the London GM knows he'll need to winnow people out and shuffle around the team before spring training kicks off. He didn't seem daunted.

"I'd rather have 60 guys for half the slots than try to make up ground like I am right now. Let's see who signs and we'll figure out a place for them from there."

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: 56.01 -- London Calling: GM Rigatoni Works The Phones

Post by Trebro » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:12 pm

Really good to have you back. And I'm curious about the minors which were ranked #1 in 2054 when I left. A lot of lumping or just people refusing to resign minor league deals to an indy league parent?
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Bob Breum
BBA GM

Post by Bob Breum » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:32 pm

Trebro wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:12 pm
And I'm curious about the minors which were ranked #1 in 2054 when I left.
I confess to dealing some of those prospects to boost our big league club, adding arguably the top two SPs in the league, CF Koka, and C bin Najeeb in trades. London's farm system ranking declined from 1st to 5th, but 3-5 are not far apart. I would not hesitate to do it again. In our opinion, the prospects that we traded did not fit our long term plans. Your mileage may vary.

Bob
Bob Breum
Co-GM (Position Players)
2057 Johnson League champions
2057 Johnson League GM of the Year

Montreal Blazers

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:18 pm

Bob Breum wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:32 pm
Trebro wrote:
I confess to dealing some of those prospects to boost our big league club, adding arguably the top two SPs in the league, CF Koka, and C bin Najeeb in trades. London's farm system ranking declined from 1st to 5th, but 3-5 are not far apart. I would not hesitate to do it again. In our opinion, the prospects that we traded did not fit our long term plans. Your mileage may vary.

Bob
I forgot about the trades. Glad the prospects were able to be turned into something and weren't just busts which is what I feared.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:57 am

Bob Breum wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:32 pm
Trebro wrote:

Bob
Given that they're still under team control, think it was a fine choice. Was pleasantly surprised how few open spots I had when I took over the team.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “London Monarchs”