GM: Kevin Spencer

Moderator: handaspencer

Trebro
BBA GM

52.10 London Line Drives September 25, 2052: Consistently Bad

Post by Trebro » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:24 am

Three weeks, Three Sets of Two Wins, Five Losses
by Niles Standish

Tokyo – Hello from Japan, where the Not Sure They're Actually the London Monarchs have just paused before the final games of the season, having gone almost maddeningly consistent 2-5 the past three weeks in a row. Despite adding some additional players, several of whom were clear upgrades, there's seemingly just no way for this team to get into any sort of a rhythm. Two sets of two-game win streaks came to nothing. Two extra-inning games ended in heartbreak. Not only did 100 losses sail past in this time, but so did 110! From the paperwork issue to players refusing to even consider re-signing with the team to dwindling attendance (barely twelve thousand fans showed up to the finale, a win against Sydney in which SP Don Thomas pitched a nifty six innings of two-run ball), GM McMonigal has had virtually no impact on the team, despite his best efforts.

"Look, our winning percentage is better now than when I got here," said the harried head of the team. "It's 30 points better, to be exact."

When I pointed out that meant the team would still have at least one hundred ten losses, he hung up the phone on me. Wouldn't be the first time that happened. Though the subjects are usually a bit different.

There are some bright spots, such as SP Mansur Bin Fath, who has a tidy 2.89 ERA and 1/3 of the team's 6 wins in this 21 game stretch. LF Tomas Guillen re-signed with the team for a slight raise, giving them an anchor to build on in the outfield. He's flirted with .300 all year and is one of the team's most consistent players. Jose Martinez can't field anywhere for love or money, but his OPS is an insane 1.175. Thomas moving into the rotation looks promising, as does Dae-Su Im. The issue is their consistency, something a good coach can fix – if McMonigal can find one.

Only four games remain for this earth-shatteringly bad team. All eyes are on 2053. It certainly can't get worse.

Until next time, I'm Niles Standish, reminding you that there's always time for a triple play. Ta ta for now!
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “London Monarchs”