GM: Kevin Spencer

Moderator: handaspencer

Trebro
BBA GM

52.05 London Line Drives Aug 21, 2052: Even Stephen

Post by Trebro » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:22 am

Changes bring 3-3 Record, Small Chance of Hope
by Niles Standish

London – Isn't it great to sleep in one's own bed? Fortunately, mine has been kept warm in my absence! Very happy to be sipping tea from my own cup, as it were. And what a happy return it was for the Monarchs, who won their first game on the home stand as part of a series of games that saw the absolutely awful team break even, foiling gamblers everywhere. Oh who am I kidding? No one in their right mind would bet on baseball. Or perhaps that's just my rosy outlook.

Getting back to the games, in a minor miracle, the Monarchs took 2 out of 3 matches in Tokyo against one of the powerhouse teams in the league. David Prigent notched saves in both games, but also blew the third in the attempted sweep. That was his eighth time blowing a lead and it's led to a reshuffling, at least for a bit, of leaving the primary role of finishing games in his hands.

Of course, there's also word (I got it from some anonymous calls, admittedly), that talks between Prigent and McMonigal about coming back did not go well and that it might just be best for both parties if his role on the team is reduced. But in perhaps the biggest news, another rumor indicates that Reshetkov, who had a banner week with a two home runs and .316 batting average, might just want to get on the first plane, train, or automobile out of the Monarchs dugout. That could be a huge blow to London's re-vamping of their team – or perhaps be an opportunity to start fresh.

The fresh start given to Itze Woertgen was quite stale, however, as the waiver pickup from second place Buenos Aires couldn't get out of the fourth in his first start as a Monarch. The five strikeouts were nice, but ten hits and six runs put his team hopelessly behind. One starts to see why he was a waiver claim. Su-Yeong Pak did much better, 2 scoreless innings in 2 games and a victory. Carlos Campos did rather poorly as well, however, giving up five runs in four and two-thirds innings. Five hits (three went yard) and three walks will do that to you.

Overall, it's a mixed bag here for the Monarchs, as one might expect, with a lot of players fighting for the right to play here – or anywhere else – in 2053. Stars like Nicholai Reshetkov, Tomas Guillem, and Jordan Knowles (stars being used a little loosely here) will be fine. It's the Brynjar Nerdal, Carl McFayden, and even Prigents who will either rise in the next several weeks or fall into baseball's long and unending litany of names in the book of records.

Either way, London fans are getting a glimmer of hope.

News and notes:

Jefferson Pierce, a superstar pitcher for Calgary in the Brewster, was released by McMonigal after a 5-16 record and an ERA of 8.23 with AAA Victoria. The veteran was trying for a comeback but there's just nothing left in his tank.
• OF Eduardo Gonzalez got his first GBC home run. He had 42 in the BBA. Life in London has been hard, as he's hitting only .221.

Until next time, I'm Niles Standish, reminding you to round your bases carefully. Ta ta for now!
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “London Monarchs”