The Third Floor (Issue 46.1)

GM: Kevin Spencer

Moderator: handaspencer

mragland
BBA GM

The Third Floor (Issue 46.1)

Post by mragland » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:30 pm

08.25.46, Beirut

The bus was late. Marwa intended to reach the team offices by nine in the morning, but she passed through the building's front door at ten minutes past. She expected the place to be mostly empty on a Saturday morning, even with the trade deadline looming, however, it was anything but.

Marwa took the elevator to the third floor. The doors opened and she stepped out, but hesitated. There were several clusters of desks in front of her on this large, mostly open floor. There were people everywhere. The level of activity suggested a busy newsroom rather than a business office on the weekend.

She made eye contact with a man sitting at a desk nearby, perhaps the least busy person on the floor. He looked to be in his early thirties and wore an old Indy Grasshoppers t-shirt.

“Hey, there,” the man said. “First day?”

“Um, yes,” said Marwa. “I have an appointment with the assistant general manager, Katharine Gibson?”

The man made a face. “You better have a seat.” He grabbed a chair and set it down behind his desk.

Marwa looked around and took a seat. She glanced over at the monitors on the man's desk and saw a spreadsheet of some kind on one, and what appeared to be the live feed of a news conference on the other (there was a man speaking from behind a rostrum).

“My name's Grant,” said the man with an American accent, extending a hand. Marwa shook it and he sat down.

“Marwa,” she said.

He started typing something out on his keyboard. “Katherine,” he said, “she's nice.”

“Yes,” said Marwa, “she did my last interview for the internship. I'm entering my last year in school.”

“We all liked her, but she's been reassigned. On a plane to Africa as we speak. The new assistant general manager is … Craig Buchanan. Yikes,” he said, motioning toward a picture of a stern looking bald man, in his fifties, with a thick neck and cauliflower ears.

“Goodness,” said another man from behind them, in an Oxbridge tone of voice. “Who's the bruiser?”

Grant looked over his shoulder, “New AGM.” He turned to Marwa, “that's Alden. Don't lend him any money. Alden, this is Marwa. She's new. Intern that's fallen through the cracks.” Grant scanned the screen in front of him. “Let's see … Craig Buchanan … Scottish … rugby player … turned rugby manager … Saracens ... now he's here.”

“Saracens?” asked Marwa.

“English rugby club,” answered Alden.

“The English have a rugby club named Saracens?” she asked. Alden nodded. “I'm not sure how I feel about that,” she said.

“They meant it as a compliment, I believe, if that helps,” replied Alden.

“Maybe,” said Marwa.

Alden looked over at Grant's other monitor. “Is he still at it?” asked Alden, indicating the man behind the podium.

“Yep,” said Grant. “Twenty minutes so far, nowhere near the record yet.”

“Who is he,” asked Marwa.

“New club president. That's why it's all hands on deck,” he said, sweeping his arm to indicate the office. “People coming, people going. New regime.”

“I thought it was because of the trade deadline,” said Marwa.

“Naw,” said Grant, “I don't think we have anything in the works there.”

Just then the elevator door opened and a man stepped out, followed by two younger people, a man and a woman. The man in front was well over six feet tall and proceeded towards a corner office. He didn't walk so much as lean forward and plow through the air.

“That's him,” said Grant. "Buchanan."
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: The Third Floor (Issue 46.1)

Post by Fat Nige » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Well up to your normal standards Morris, well done !
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “London Monarchs”