A Few Excellent East Asian Minor Leaguers in Single-A Taipei (Cairo Chronicles: Issue 7, 2042 Season)

Contracted after 2043 season
johnd2442
Ex-GM

A Few Excellent East Asian Minor Leaguers in Single-A Taipei (Cairo Chronicles: Issue 7, 2042 Season)

Post by johnd2442 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:41 pm

A Few Excellent East Asian Minor Leaguers in Single-A Taipei
Cairo Chronicles, Issue 7, 2042 Season

Sitting in first place, the Cairo Chariot Archers single-A squad Taipei Tigers realize that their single-A playoff aspirations are not what is important to the big league front office, but the player development. I realize no one will probably care about this but me, but I did like reading what some GM’s wrote about why they write team news, to have it as a historical document to look back on. I liked reading what previous GM’s wrote about with some Cairo players who are still on the big league roster, so I’m going to try to do that inconsistently.

ImageTaipei is three and a half games ahead of second place Bangkok in the Far East Baseball League Division 1.

I’ve spent a lot of time lingering over the Tigers’ lineups and pitching rotations this season. Not having an offseason to work with, I’ve been trying to get used to the players in the low minors to figure out what I would do next offseason and if there are any young stars that could help the big league UMEBA Chariot Archers squad in a few seasons.

Starting pitcher Roger Mackey has probably been the most perplexing player on the roster. Mackey was a third overall pick in the first round just one year ago and is only 17 years old. He had a brutal rookie season in A-ball last year with an 8.37 ERA and things weren’t improving too much this season with an equally unsightly 7.07 ERA. He’s been in the rotation all year, yet is angry for some reason. While he is completely undeserving and likely not ready, though his ratings are tantalizing, I bumped him up to Double-A with the intention of seeing how he does for 2-4 weeks. And if that helps his anger any. Thankfully, he’s got some team control and I have three option years left with him.

I am sure impatience is getting the better of me as I’ve just promoted a few Taipei pitchers to Double-A Montevideo. A guy like Li Eveson (3.77 ERA, 82 IP) may be ready for it at 19 years old and pitching well. Chao Yang (0.54 ERA, 16 IP) is just 16 and a sixth round pick in this year’s rookie draft, and maybe opponents haven’t gotten their scouting reports on him yet, but he’s been pitching so well. I couldn’t fight the urge and I bumped him up to Double-A. Hopefully he won’t get abused too much.

Two rookie youngsters drafted in 2042 are still in the Taipei bullpen and I’m cautiously optimistic about them even though they haven’t gotten any real innings yet. Bryce Emery, drafted in the fourth round, is one and Bruce Simpson, selected in the fifth round, is the other.

ImageRookie reliever Chao Yang may have outsized expectations from the new Cairo regime with his fast start.

Some of the hitters in Single-A Taipei have been performing well, but their ratings are quite lackluster so it is hard to get overly optimistic. Some have been promoted to Double-A only to struggle mightily and find themselves back in the Far East. One guy who I’m cautiously hopeful about is Rafael Mullet (.319, 10 HR, 340 PA). His ratings aren’t outstanding, and he struggled last year in Double-A as an 18 year old so I’ve resisted promoting him this season simply to get him at bats. Once I can clear the decks of overpaid players throughout the ranks, I’d like to see Mullet at Double-A for part of next season in hopes that he’ll hit well there.

This has been a real learning lesson with the Single-A Taipei Tigers so far. For one, it has been a lesson in arrogance. Where I get excited about a player putting up outsized stats for Taipei, bump him up to Double-A and he suddenly hits the Mendoza Line over 50 at bats and it is clear he is overmatched. I’ve gotten my comeuppance this way several times and if I’ve learned anything, it is not to get too excited, but it is a lesson I struggle to put into practice as I shuffle the deck with promotions and demotions too often.
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

crillah
Ex-GM

Re: A Few Excellent East Asian Minor Leaguers in Single-A Taipei (Cairo Chronicles: Issue 7, 2042 Season)

Post by crillah » Sat May 02, 2020 2:17 pm

very nice read, i like the evaluation on your minor league squad, cant wait to see some cairo playoff articles!
Baghdad Kings
GM - Jouve Crawford

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: A Few Excellent East Asian Minor Leaguers in Single-A Taipei (Cairo Chronicles: Issue 7, 2042 Season)

Post by Fat Nige » Sat May 02, 2020 5:29 pm

I had some fantastic stats in Taipei once I turned it into an age appropriate team from the one I inherited. The trouble was that hardly any UMEBA GM's paid much attention to A ball which really skewed the stats. I do think though Weston and Ortega deserve to be in Montevideo at least
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:40 am

crillah wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:17 pm
very nice read, i like the evaluation on your minor league squad, cant wait to see some cairo playoff articles!
Thank you, Jouve! First I've got to make the playoffs...which doesn't look too likely at this point!
Fat Nige wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:29 pm
I had some fantastic stats in Taipei once I turned it into an age appropriate team from the one I inherited. The trouble was that hardly any UMEBA GM's paid much attention to A ball which really skewed the stats. I do think though Weston and Ortega deserve to be in Montevideo at least
You have a keen eye! Unfortunately, Weston is 25 and was very much ho-hum for two years at Double-A. He should probably be released, but he's now just a third outfielder for depth. Same with Ortega. He was lackluster at best last season and his ratings make me sad to look at. He'd probably hit .270 in Double-A, but I'm not really much of a fan. But you're right, he probably should be up there, but I'm curious about other players. It is going to be a challenge for me when this season is done and how I fill out the minors and who I bring back...or have to bring back. I'm kind of looking forward to that!
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

ca13
Ex-GM

Post by ca13 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:50 pm

Mullet looks like he could be a solid 4th OF someday. Plays all 3 spots, bat plays up against RHP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cairo Chariot Archers BC”