Growing old in Cairo (2041-19)

Contracted after 2043 season
Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Growing old in Cairo (2041-19)

Post by Fat Nige » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:07 pm

First No-Hitter for Nairobi as the Diamonds burst into July

A couple of mediocre months had left the Diamonds trailing the Dar Es Salaam (affiliate of Istanbul) by two games, but Nairobi came out the first week of July firing.

A highlight of that week came on July 2nd when Nairobi was facing the second game of their series in Khartoum against the Racers, affiliate of Manama. The Diamonds had already won game one of the series when they overturned a 3-1 Racers lead in the top of the ninth. Nairobi sent 11 men to the plate and they came up with three singles, a double and a triple as well as being aided by the pitcher hitting a batter as well. All that led to Nairobi plating six runs and Leon Chavez was able to pitch a 1-2-3 innings to close out a 7-3 win.

In the second game Nairobi jumped out of the blocks fast when Brody Weston homered in the top of the 1st innings. A double by Daniel Castellanos in the top of the fourth was followed by another double by Randy Knight which drove Castellanos home for the Diamonds second run. Meanwhile the ace of Nairobi’s staff, Paco Munoz hadn’t even given up so much as a hit. Bottom of the fourth Munoz walked a batter but continued his clean slate as Diamonds caught the runner trying to steal second. After inducing five groundouts in a row, Munoz struck out the final batter in the bottom of the sixth. Khartoum worked another walk in the bottom of the seventh but failed to do anything with the runner as Munoz struck out the next batter to end the innings. No-one had registered a hit now since the top of the fourth and indeed there had only been four hits in the seven innings, all for the Diamonds. We progressed to the bottom of the ninth with no further action on the bases. Munoz was still on the mound having surrendered just two walks while striking out seven batters.
Jamie Villarreal was first up to challenge Munoz and five pitches later he slapped it along the ground to Emilio Duran at second who soft-tossed it to first for the out. Pat Holland only lasted three pitches before he hit a long fly out to right. Juan Trevino was the Racers final hope, but he couldn’t do any better than his team-mates. He fouled off the first pitch and sent the second skimming along the ground to Duran who sent the ball confidently straight to Castellanos at first. The Nairobi bench emptied, and Munoz vanished under a sea of diving bodies.

PACO MUNOZ HAD NO-HIT KHARTOUM !!

Munoz had faced 28 batters, one over the minimum, 11 were out by groundouts, 8 were fly-outs, seven were strikeouts and one was caught stealing. He had thrown 168 pitches, 103 for strikes. The game had taken two hours 28 minutes and 12,483 were on hand to watch Munoz’s eighth win of the season (tying his highest wins in a season, set in 2039 for Burlington (Madison AA)). His first ever no-hitter at any level, it was his fourth pro shutout.

We finish with a quote from the man himself “When Cairo selected me in the 2040 Rule 7 draft, I was pretty cut up about it, I knew I could have gone on to be a BBA star. I’ve tried to put that behind me now, everyone here’s been good to me, showed me how good the UMEBA can be. I think this validates my effort and after the game GM Laverick phoned me and said if I carry on like this he can’t ignore me. His plan had been for me to complete the season in Triple-A, but now he says that if I can keep up this form, he is now thinking of calling me up to Cairo in September”

Although Racers won a one-run game in 10 the next day against the rather hung-over Diamonds, the team went on to win the final two games of the week to move two games ahead of Dar Es Salaam at the top of Division 1 of the African Baseball Alliance.
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Return to “Cairo Chariot Archers BC”