The City of a thousand Minarets (2039-1)

Contracted after 2043 season
Fat Nige
Ex-GM

The City of a thousand Minarets (2039-1)

Post by Fat Nige » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:27 am

January 2039

After leaving Louisville amidst Mental Health issues I was tracked down by my agent whilst discussing the creation of a small Swedish league. He reckoned I would really appreciate a spell in the desert, I wasn’t so sure but every time I depart the BBA there is a void in my life no matter how bad things are. I’ve managed and ruined teams in the BBA across America as well as across Europe in the EBA, so could I destroy the desert teams?

I could never resist the siren call of the BBA universe when it called and so it was days later, I sat on my camel and headed for the Middle East. Reading my travel package notes I scanned the long route all away across the desert to the Egyptian jewel of Cairo. Here was a franchise ripe for the Laverick destruction derby, in their inaugural year in the newly formed Unified Middle East Baseball Association all three levels of the Cairo franchise had won at least 100 games. Only the Nairobi Drifters in the AAA African Baseball Alliance actually came away with a Championship ring though, the Cairo Chariot Archers reached the World Series only to lose 4-1.

One of the things I noticed though was that the Far East Baseball League, which in 2038 had competed at AA level, had been downgraded to A ball. Looking at the 2038 roster of our team, the Taipei Tigers, they had won 100 out of 140 games but only four regular starters had been under the age of 25. I made that my first task – if the Tigers would compete at A ball level then we had to provide age appropriate players to develop into prospective Chariot Archers.

After my shocked personal assistant had welcomed his new GM and helped him slide off his camel, I issued my first instructions – Contact the media, post the flyers, call your mates, the Chariot Archers would be holding open trials for their new A ball team. We had 31 slots left for 22-yrs-old or younger players to come and stuff their faces with Chinese food, see the sights of Taipei and perhaps even learn some baseball.

It worked a bit too well though, within days we had 95 prospective candidates camping out on the Tiger’s Foresters Ballpark. I glared at my assistant and pointedly said “Perhaps you and Taipei manager Doug Davis ought to sit down and whittle these down a bit? The Groundsman is going spare at the state of his ballpark with all these urchins camped all over it”

I rolled my eyes and headed for the flight back to Cairo. I had the pleasure of doing this all over again as I sorted out the Triple-A side, the Nairobi Drafters. They might be the only side in the franchise with a Championship Ring, but their propose in life was to provide experienced stars for the Cairo team.
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Re: The City of a thousand Minarets (2039-1)

Post by Spiccoli » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 am

lol... We didn't have a lot of options to fill out rosters. Any warm body rated over 30 when Relative Ratings were set to "AAA" was offered a job.

I'll be a Cairo fan watching from over the pond in the Land of a 1,000 lakes... something seriously lacking in Egypt.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:02 am

That’s what I did, set the filter to ‘under 22’ and offered the lot a MiL contract
Nigel Laverick

Riyadh GM since May 2046

Nothing since

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:46 pm

Did you win a title in the EBA?
GM Vancouver Mounties

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:43 pm

It’s wonderful to have you back, Nigel. I’m sure the 95 prospective Taipei Tigers agree!

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:46 pm
Nah, I had a reasonable London side but my Brussels effort was pretty poor
Nigel Laverick

Riyadh GM since May 2046

Nothing since

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Fat Nige wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm
bschr682 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:46 pm
Nah, I had a reasonable London side but my Brussels effort was pretty poor
That's a shame. I was wondering if we would ever have a person who won a Landis, an EBA championship and an UMEBA championship. I have the latter 2 but sadly I never got to play in the EBA. We are so gonna have to reboot that just for me...
GM Vancouver Mounties

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cairo Chariot Archers BC”