Turkish Delight - 7 JUL 2042

Contracted after 2043 season
jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Turkish Delight - 7 JUL 2042

Post by jcrmoon42 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:43 pm

Well, my run as the manager of Istanbul hasn't exactly gone as well as I would have liked. 12-13 since I took over. Meanwhile, the dreaded Baghdad squad has gone 16-8 to take a 1.5 game lead in the division. That said, if I'm being really honest, Baghdad was the better team anyway. When I looked at this Istanbul squad up close and really took stock of what was going on, I realized that they were really going to be pushing it to try to keep their lead.

So...I started tinkering.

I tried out closer Charlie Simmons in the rotation for a couple of sims. That wasn't great. He had 3 starts, one of which was okay. The other two were awful. He belongs in the pen, and that's where he is going to stay. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that we had to find a rotation replacement for Claudio Esobedo, a previously serviceable starter who has an 8.71 ERA in his 12 starts this year. So this sim, we brought up Two Shoes Bertoletti who proceeded to pitch lights out, allowing only 2 runs in his 2 starts.

This last sim we brought up 20-year old Adam Backhouse who had been killing it in AAA and had nothing left to prove at that level. Long term, he will be a DH, and we are in the process of trying to find a solution at first, but he started hitting right out of the gate. Hopes are high for this youngster.

We have been trolling the free agent list and waiver wire, looking for improvements wherever we could find them. One of those discoveries is former BBA 3rd Round selection, Anastasio Hernandez. He hasn't started hitting yet, but is a well above average hitter for the UMEBA and should be a nice addition.

I have to say though that the biggest struggle I'm having is getting my head wrapped around the ratings/stats correlation in this league. There seem to be a lot of players who don't look very good who play well, and vice versa. Clearly, the ratings base in the UMEBA is a different animal from anything I'm used to, and I'm going to have to get a handle on it quickly.

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Re: Turkish Delight - 7 JUL 2042

Post by johnd2442 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:00 pm

A nice, succinct team news. I need to get better with being more succinct, but I fear it is a skill I won't be mastering anytime soon. But in just a few paragraphs, I got a window into your team. I'm also still learning the correlation between UMEBA ratings and actual production and it is a learning process for me.
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Re: Turkish Delight - 7 JUL 2042

Post by jcrmoon42 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:14 pm

johnd2442 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:00 pm
A nice, succinct team news. I need to get better with being more succinct, but I fear it is a skill I won't be mastering anytime soon. But in just a few paragraphs, I got a window into your team. I'm also still learning the correlation between UMEBA ratings and actual production and it is a learning process for me.
Thanks!

My park doesn't help matters as it is a high home run park. I typically have a low tolerance for low-movement pitchers, but my definition of low movement needs to change in this league. Not sure how to strike the balance between pitcher ratings, the league, and my park.

I'm probably over-thinking it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Istanbul Bosphorus”