2037.4 Offensive Outlook

Contracted after 2043 season
ae37jr
BBA GM

2037.4 Offensive Outlook

Post by ae37jr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 am

Image Offensive Outlook As we further try to digest this mess and plan for a more positive future. Let's take a look at the offense.... Team Preview style.

Catcher
Lou Griffin (3/5/6/6/5 Talents)
Tony Angel (3/2/5/7/5 Talents)

Neither one of these guys looks to be anything close to a long term solution. Right now we are starting Griffin because he is the better defender. But that needs to stop as he is abysmal at the plate. Angel isn't really terrible behind the dish and at least has a very good eye at the plate. I guess either one of these players would be a suitable caddy to a solid left handed hitting backstop. Unfortunately we do not have one of those right now. So until we do, this is a fairly substantial black hole.

First Base
Jeffrey Verkade (4/6/3/10/5 Talents)
Lonnie McGreer (5/4/5/4/6 Talents)
Kunz Schuck (5/7/5 Talents)

Verkade is a long time second baseman shifting left as he transitions into his twilight years. His 10(11 VS LHP) EYE makes OOTP Gm's drool all over their keyboards. While he never really cut it in the BBA, he was a beast in the EBA and should be very good in the UMEBA as well. It's a tricky situation though. He's 35, demanding a decent amount of money to extend, and plays an easy position. Istanbul may choose to trade or nontender him in the offseason as a business decision. Or maybe they bring him back for one more year to bridge the gap.

McGreer is a halfway decent short side platoon player. But like at catcher, we don't have a strong side option to pair him with. So essentially he is useless. Kunz Schuck (5/7/5 Talents) is our resident two way player and team asshat. We stuck him in RF recently just to get his bat in the lineup. Ideally he is a 1B/3B option. It's tough to keep him in the lineup because he has no defense experience. But I want to play around with this two way player thing. So he'll get in the lineup somehow.

Middle Infield
Jeff Robinson (4/4/1/6/5 Talents)
Ron Cooper (4/4/3/4/6 Talents)
Sebastian Ayliffe (3/4/2/6/4 Talents)

Robinson gets the nod at SS because he is just 22 and is one of our better defensive players(capable of playing 6 positions). He has some room to grow into a better player. In fact he is the number 20 prospect in the UMEBA. But frankly I see a utility infielder at best. I would argue that he is a building block for us. Once we secure an everyday SS, Robinson slots into being a very valuable supersub.

Cooper is right now, what we want Robinson to be. The only problem is that instead of having two supersubs, they are anchored in the everyday lineup due to a dearth of talent. Coop will be back next season. He is a passable hitter and a valuable bench hand. With a short 25 man roster, flexibility has more value.

Ayliffe is a former Brooklyn farm hand who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat during his two year tenure in AA Memphis. He has since lumped and is now a miserable human being. But he is the only other infielder I have with range over 7 and a contact over a 1. So congrats buddy. You're playing in Istanbul for $100k. Invest it wisely.

Third Base
Michael Starr (6/6/5/5/6 Talents)

He is my boy. In 2026 I took over Brooklyn. It was June 1st and the team had the worst record in the entire BBA. The first moves I made was to call up Starr, Enrique Salazar (4/3/8/4/6 Talents), and Kenny Hill. They played awesome and we went on to win the Landis in spectacular fashion. He made the all star team the next season then lumped to hell. I blushed like a nerdy school boy getting hit on by the prettiest girl in the class when I saw him in the UMEBA. He looks to be one of the better hitters in the UMEBA. I don't care if he's 35. As long as I'm at the helm, he's going to ride it out in Istanbul. Thank you for your service sir.

Outfield
Rich Ayers (6/6/6/4/8 Talents)
Hyung-on Ch'oe (4/6/5/6/5 Talents)
Jeremy Raines (4/5/6/5/5 Talents)
Hector Correa (4/4/4/9/3 Talents)
Darrell Howard (4/4/2/5/5 Talents)
Salvador Castro (4/6/1/3/5 Talents)
Steve Hodgson (2/2/1/9/6 Talents)

A recent trade made this scene a lot more crowded then it needs to be. Ayers is clearly the best player. Though he is 29, he still amazingly has 6 more years of team control. So it's a no brainer to pencil him into future plans until the talent influx pushes him out. Ch'oe came over in the first ever UMEBA trade. He is young, left handed and doesn't have many flaws in his game. He figures to platoon with Ayers in right or possibly even start in left.

Raines is a decent stop gag. Nothing to write home about. He is probably better then some the players listed below him. But due to age, defense, and upside... it's unlikely his tenure here is long. Correa, Howard, Castro, and Hodgson are all battling for CF and reserve roles. They are high energy speed and defense types. Correa and Howard will get regular reps in CF/LF while Castro should keep a roster spot with his flexibility. Hodgson is the worst talent wise. But man, 9 eye and amazing defense? He could find a niche for himself in this flawed league.

There you have it folks. Listed below is how I want the roster to look next season with blanks being upgrades....

C
1B Jeffrey Verkade (4/6/3/10/5 Talents)
2B
SS
3B Michael Starr (6/6/5/5/6 Talents)
LF
CF Hector Correa (4/4/4/9/3 Talents)
RF Hyung-on Ch'oe (4/6/5/6/5 Talents)/Rich Ayers (6/6/6/4/8 Talents)

BN Tony Angel (3/2/5/7/5 Talents)
BN Jeff Robinson (4/4/1/6/5 Talents)
BN Ron Cooper (4/4/3/4/6 Talents)
BN Hyung-on Ch'oe (4/6/5/6/5 Talents)/Rich Ayers (6/6/6/4/8 Talents)
BN Darrell Howard (4/4/2/5/5 Talents)
BN Salvador Castro (4/6/1/3/5 Talents)
BN Kunz Schuck (5/7/5 Talents)
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2037.4 Offensive Outlook

Post by RonCo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:12 am

Nice overview.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 pm

So, Alan, did you find this a useful exercise? I may do one of these for Mumbai as a way to get a handle on the team. Just wonder if this was useful as a guide through the off-season.

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:37 pm

HoosierVic wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 pm
So, Alan, did you find this a useful exercise? I may do one of these for Mumbai as a way to get a handle on the team. Just wonder if this was useful as a guide through the off-season.
I definately find it helpful. Anytime I take over a new team in a new league I get this overwelmed feeling as if I'm just staring at a wall of names and numbers. Writing a preview helps a lot. I also try to link a MLB player to everyone on my team. Like if I have a speedy centerfielder who makes a lot of contact and has a noodle arm, I'll connect him to Juan Pierre.

The real fun begins once you know your team and start to write fantasy articles about them. It brings everything to life and makes it feel real. I swear I know which players are friends with each other, which one arrives first at the park, and which one give the best press interviews. But I'm weird like that. I once made a spreadsheet listing what players roomed with each other on road trips. lol
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:34 pm

The spreadsheet is awesome.

Yeah, I look at the Mumbai roster and it’s a wall of names and numbers. I’ve written several posts, but mostly from the management perspective. I did take a crack at writing one of my players today, and he’s clearer in my mind now, so I think there’s a lot of truth to what you say there.

I like the idea of the “preview” - if nothing else, I can start to get a grip on what needs work.

Thanks. I’m enjoying your posts!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Istanbul Bosphorus”