Turkish Delight - 08 SEP 2042 - Yeah, so we gave up a division lead

Contracted after 2043 season
jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Turkish Delight - 08 SEP 2042 - Yeah, so we gave up a division lead

Post by jcrmoon42 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Oh, Division Lead, Where hast thou gone?

At some level, I feel like I should be ashamed of taking this team from a division lead into a 12.5 game deficit. But I don't. No shame. In fact, I think I knew this was going to happen.

Baghdad is just the better team. Pure and simple. First in runs scored. First in fewest runs allowed. That's pretty hard to beat. And we aren't beating them. No shocker there.

So...what are we doing? Well, we're leading the Wild Card with the second best record in the UMEBA. Third most runs scored. Second fewest allowed. Twenty games to go and a 9 game Wild Card lead. Magic number of 12. Pyth is 83-59, four games ahead of actual. So we are in a pretty good spot, especially considering the amount of tinkering I've been doing. Get to the playoffs and see what happens.

Adam Backhouse, the second pick of the 2039 draft, has been excellent. 13 homers and a .846 OPS in his first 59 games.

Closer Charlie Simmons tried starting 4 times. He was awful. Not doing that again.

BBA castoff Anastasio Hernandez got picked up off the trash heap and has put up a 121 OPS+.

We've got two catchers with OPS above .800, including Anibal Garcia, a former Wichita and Montreal backup, who has been an offensive force.

Slugging John Garcia hasn't been quite as good as last year, but we'll take a 145 OPS+ and 40 homers any day.

Meanwhile, we've scooped up a lot of younger players, choosing to populate the minor leagues with players who might actually develop rather than trying to win games at those levels. Will anything come of those transactions? We're hoping at least a few will pan out in the coming years.

So, all in all, I'm pretty happy with things, even though Baghdad has proven their dominance. All you can do is all you can do, but all you can do is enough.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Turkish Delight - 08 SEP 2042 - Yeah, so we gave up a division lead

Post by jleddy » Wed May 13, 2020 4:41 pm

Take them out in the playoffs and all is forgotten, right?
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Istanbul Bosphorus”