Interim GM: Sean Marko

Moderator: jiminyhopkins

skelly2180
Ex-GM

Tokyo Times - Welcome, Coach K

Post by skelly2180 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:17 pm

Remarks at Opening Press Conference with incoming Coach Sean Kelly

Audio Transcribed by Special Assistant, Stevie Reed

“Thank you for being here today, I am Sean Kelly and the new manager of the Tokyo Pearls. I wanted to say thank you for the Brewer Baseball Association for giving me an opportunity to perform, learn and leave an impact in this league. I hope to give this team and this city the best chance at competing by getting better every day. I promise to instilling a new and present culture with this team where we enjoy the company of our colleagues and push everyone in the organization, directly and indirectly, to our fullest potentials.

A little bit of background on myself, I have coached in the CBBC and WWBL, both creative and wonderful baseball worlds (ran by a dedicated Commissioner Dave, founder of Collector's Baseball Club). I recently stepped away from these two experiences for personal reasons - I no longer had the drive to push those around me to be better. Something was lost, and I knew that I needed to take a break to let the team and the league let a new manager come through and give the kids a fighting chance. Recently though, I overcame a major fear of mine - public speaking - and officiated a wedding for a dear friend. This experience helped me find that drive that I thought was once lost. However, I never lost my spirit for the game, and knew that karma would come its way with the right opportunity. Fortunately, karma came through and I saw an opening to the GBC, a league that I had crossed my eyes a few times in the past. I read the tea leaves, put my resume out there and here we are: coaching my favorite sport in one of my favorite cities. ’Pearl' is also the name of a dog owned by one of my good friends, who I met for the first time on the day that I learned that I got this gig. Fate has a really funny way of saying ‘hey’.

I remain close with and am fortunate enough to stay on the Pacific with my favorite friends at the Washington Blackbears of the Money League Union (tMBU). Cheers to the continued passion that we both aim to leave on the diamond and in the baseball community.

Excited to be here, looking forward to making some waves here in Tokyo. See you at the next press conference.”

Return to “Tokyo Pearls”