Manama Musings 2047.1

GM: Chris Bryer

Moderator: Rondor

bschr682
Ex-GM

Manama Musings 2047.1

Post by bschr682 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am

Well with over 1/3 of the season in the rear view mirror we can officially take stock of whats going on. What is going on? The promising start we had to the season has completely vanished as the team has absolutely cratered over the last few weeks. 17-11 after April followed by a 15-13 May. Now that doesn't sound terrible until you look at what has happened so far in June. 5-16 so far! It's almost kind of amazing in a disturbing sort of way. The only thing keeping management sane is the fact that nobody with the exception of Jerusalem has taken advantage of our struggles. If we pull our collective heads out of our collective asses, we have plenty of time to right the ship and make the post season. Will we? :headscratch:

Someone who really needs to wake up is star CF Joshua Koka. One of the storylines heading into this season is his impending free agency. There is a large price tag next to his name but he has always lived up to that salary. To start the year he was doing it again. At the end of April he was hitting well with an OPS over .900. Management was ready and had engaged in extension talks. Some very big numbers were flying around but he was worth it. By the end of May though things had changed. Koka managed to barely throw up a .750 OPS and a disastrous .206 batting average. Maybe he'd bounce back in June? Well so far his June stat line is an anemic .496 OPS with a mind numbingly bad .151 batting average. 15 million a year? I think not.

In some actual nitty gritty news the team has made a slew of transactions so far this season. I won't bore you with all the minor league signings but we can touch on the big trade. Back on May 12th (when things were going well mind you) the team sent struggling starting pitcher Susila Kartosuwiryo to Mumbai in exchange for top SS prospect Socrates Kazantziakis. The team had an absolute excess of quality arms but a total black hole at SS. Socrates can easily be viewed as a cornerstone at SS for the next decade.

There were two free agent signings I'd like to touch on. We signed 2B Jack Nichols early in the year to shore up middle infield defense and provide excellent OBP skills. So far so good. The second free agent signing was a move you could almost call desperate. The team is in a massive funk right now so something has to give. Enter 3B Kinfu Lugono. Swinging from the lefty side of the plate we are hoping he provides some offense and his defensive skills aren't bad either. To complement that move and to completely fix the left side of the infield we went ahead and called up Socrates. I would have liked to give him more time in the minors to round out his skills but we need help now. Hopefully the Philosopher can save us all.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: Manama Musings 2047.1

Post by Fat Nige » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:52 am

“ and a disastrous .206 batting average “

In Riyadh .206 is a perfectly normal average, raise that a few points and he’d be a superstar lol.
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:52 am

bschr682 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am
Susila Kartosuwiryo . . .
Socrates Kazantziakis . . .
I want them just for their names. . .
Jack Nichols . . .
not so much
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 am

scottsdale_joe wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:52 am
bschr682 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am
Susila Kartosuwiryo . . .
Socrates Kazantziakis . . .
I want them just for their names. . .
Jack Nichols . . .