Interim GM: Sean Marko

Moderator: jiminyhopkins

tallywood
Ex-GM

Diamonds and Pearls 2042.3 - Koka and Tofu

Post by tallywood » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:22 am

June 2nd, 2042
The Manama Tribune

It has the makings of a tragic love story so far, but both parties in this story are still hopeful that this tale ends as a comedy. CF Joshua Koka and LF Tofu McKinna found themselves separated at the start of 2042 after a seemingly inseparable friendship formed four years ago in Single-A Ball for the Manila Pirates. But the villain here is currently being played by GM Dillon Lowery, who has different paths for both to reach the UMEBA.

Both Koka and Tofu have been on the top of the Manama Pearls prospect list, and both have been consistently in the top 50 UMEBA Prospect List for the past three seasons (Koka has been #1 for most of the time). But the leader-board is one of the only topics that never gets discussed between the two.

"We love to compete, but about things that we can control... not other's opinions of us," Koka explains what the two found themselves doing in 2041 that blossomed into a friendship that will last their entire lives. "We started by just racing in the outfield, seeing who can throw farther, who is faster, and then we started playing video games, and then betting on BBA games. Wait, can I say that?" Koka laughed as he detailed the competitions between the two in Bogota.

Tofu reiterated, "Yeah, I mean, he's got more pop in the bat, but the only time a 3 will be in his batting average is when it's in the last two slots."

Tofu has been a slow burn for the Pearls farm system. He has spent two years in Manila, playing for the Single-A club, and now is in his second year for the Double-A club. His competitive counterpart, Koka, has been an asset that the Pearls wanted to see in the UMEBA as soon as possible, both because of his tremendous upside, but also because of key injuries in the outfield--Koka also spent two years in Single-A, but only one year in Double-A. He then skipped Triple-A completely and is now the everyday starter for the Pearls.

"You dream of being called up to the bigs. I mean, it's what you've worked for your entire life. And hopefully it's the start of a long career," Koka explains the day he got the call to head to Manama. "But, man, knowing Tofu is staying in Bogota sucked."

"Dude, I was happier than him. Easily." Tofu tried his best to keep Koka's spirits up. "I told him that he can send some of that cash my way if he wants, but he needs to realize he made it, and that he earned it." Tofu laughed and added, "I mean, I'll be there soon if I can figure out how to hit more than five home runs a year... I thought batting .400 in 2041 would've been enough." Tofu quickly added, "I'm just kidding, GM!"

The two will probably see each other soon as Tofu is slashing .320/.393/.437 in Double-A, on his way to another .300 season. However, the Pearls recently added LF Craig Barber which might add a few more days to Tofu's waiting. When the news broke that Barber signed with Manama, Tofu said, "I better work on my arm so I can play right field..."

Koka and Tofu still face-time every day after their games and compare their stats, but it seems like Koka is falling behind slashing .234/.339/.313 in his debut year. But when asked if the level of competition is ever brought up, Koka quickly adds, "Nah, that's a clown argument. Batters gotta bat. I won't be here when he gets called up if I continue swinging a noodle."

Fans of the Pearls will continue to dream of the day that both of these prospects take the outfield together, but no one is hoping for that day as hard as Koka and Tofu are themselves.
Valencia Stars GM: 2043-

Manama Pearls GM: 2040-2043
BURT Division Champions: 2040
BURT Wild Card: 2041

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Re: Diamonds and Pearls 2042.3 - Koka and Tofu

Post by johnd2442 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Love the Koka and Tofu story! This reminds me of the Bobi and Tobi relationship with the Philadelphia 76ers in the NBA.
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Diamonds and Pearls 2042.3 - Koka and Tofu

Post by Dington » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:41 pm

Trade both to KC and I’ll keep them together.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Tokyo Pearls”