Baghdad Times - Shipping Kings (4)

jgg614
Ex-GM

Baghdad Times - Shipping Kings (4)

Post by jgg614 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:55 am

The Kings have been anything but quiet when it comes to transactions this year. Adding players from free agency, waiver wires, drafts, and trades, the Baghdad Kings look a much different team than they have during the Jose Gonzalez era at GM.

The most recent, and possibly most shocking, the decision from Gonzalez was to send longtime, fan-favorite Raúl Hernández. Hernandez recently tied UMEBA’s all-time homerun leader David Hall and looks to take the crown very soon. The excitement of the Central American’s history-making efforts made it impossible Baghdad would ship him out but Mumbai couldn’t resist the power hitter’s impact on the game. GM Gonzalez said “We loved having Hernandez here. He helped our team get to where we are today but we felt it was better for both parties to move forward separately. We wish him in the best in Mumbai.” The man taking over DH responsibilities for the remainder of the season looks to be Miguel Angel Perales. The Dominican has done well this year with the Major League club hitting .326 with 8 homers and 27 RBI in 135 at-bats. In return for Hernandez, Baghdad received 3B Adão Yoshida and RP Piri Kamballa in a move toward the future.

Baghdad wanted to ring in a new team mentality by not just bringing in one but TWO Bells this year. Signing Jerry Bell as a free-agent in January, “I’m not thrilled with how I’m batting but I know I’m helping the team out there.” Bell’s speed and defensive prowess in LF have helped the team change philosophy. His RF partner, Blake Bell has still kept his bat hot since coming to Kings from Jerusalem in June. Batting .326 this season, Bell has been the sparkplug the Kings needed to turn their fortunes around.

Feeling like a new edition due to missing most of 2045, Allan Stallard has been a standout on the mound. In 143 2/3 innings, the Irishman has a 2.82 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, and 7.3 K/9 this season. “It’s just nice being healthy. It’s good being out there with my team and doing what I’m good at.” Currently 2 games out in the Wild Card, Stallard went on to say as much as he loves fishing in the off-season, he would be glad to postpone those plans if the Kings can make the playoffs.

“I think the biggest difference from last year to this year is our leadership group. I believe we have the lowest average age in UMEBA so leadership had to be the focus. Bringing in Wyle (Tupin) and Gustavo (Gutiérrez) has been amazing for the young guys and taken some of the pressure off of Vern (Kline) and Roberto (Gil)”, says Baghdad Manager Melvin Sims. It is clear to see that both Wyle Tupin and Gustavo Gutierrez have brought the captain mentality to this team keeping players like Wesley Johnson and the recently re-called Zephyr Orphanides focused on the task at hand; playing baseball.

Baghdad clearly looks a different team than anyone expected, including the team itself. The atmosphere around the team feels different than in previous years. It’s too soon to tell if this team will make the playoffs but the fact we’re talking about it means things are looking up in “The City of Peace”.

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Baghdad Times - Shipping Kings (4)

Post by Dington » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Fans must’ve been devastated to see Hernandez shipped off
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

jgg614
Ex-GM

Post by jgg614 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:07 pm

Dington wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:45 pm
If I said my fan interest went down, how shocked would you be?

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:54 pm

jgg614 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:07 pm
Dington wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:45 pm
If I said my fan interest went down, how shocked would you be?
Zero
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Baghdad Kings”