2046 UMEBA Postion Rankings (Second Basemen)

mragland
BBA GM

2046 UMEBA Postion Rankings (Second Basemen)

Post by mragland » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:59 am

Gareth Hale
Baseball Research International Contributor

We continue our tour of UMEBA rosters with a look at the Unified's second basemen. All referenced 2046 stats are current as of 6/16.

Takechi Eida (65/65), Tripoli

Eida is a home grown talent for the Pirhanas, drafted out of Japan in 2039, and making his major league debut in '44. Last season was his first full year as a major leaguer, where he posted an OPS+ of 133 and a WAR of 6.7, much to the delight of Pirhanas fans. A solid defender with very good speed (though he needs to learn to pick his spots on the base paths) and excellent on-base tools, the twenty-four year-old looks like a classic table setter. This year's results do indicate a bit of a sophomore slump, however, with Eida posting a more pedestrian 109 OPS+ through 67 games.

Jeremy Owbridge (55/55), Bucharest

Bucharest drafted Owbridge in 2041 and called him up to the parent club in '43. He impressed in the twenty games he played (notching a hefty 154 OPS+ in 72 ABs), and has been on the big club ever since. Now a ripe old twenty-one, Owbridge is putting up some impressive offensive numbers in 2046 as well, not quite super human, but very good nonetheless (OPS+ 134). Solid offensive production, along with superlative defense both at second and occasionally on the other side of the bag at shortstop, must please the home crowd. There's a lot to like about this young Australian.

William Drew (55/60), Mumbai

Drew is a BBA retread who spent seven seasons in Baltimore and Montreal before signing a one-year deal with Mumbai in December. While he had one good season with Charm City (a 3.6 WAR in 2040) he'd otherwise been at or near replacement level. A good, but not great, defender who occasionally shows some pop with the bat, Drew sets a good example for teammates with his work ethic and energy. So far with Mumbai he's looked good at the plate, putting up a 114 OPS+ in 68 games. Pleased with how well Drew has adjusted to playing in India, management has recently extended him through 2049.

Wally Geoghegan (50/50), Manama

This twenty-five year-old Adelaide native has spent his entire professional career with UMEBA organizations. Manama acquired him in a trade with Beirut in '41. He features decent, but by no means spectacular, defense and a plus hit tool. Geoghegan speaks softly, but he's hitting .320 with his stick, good for an OPS+ of 135 in 67 games for the Pearls. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain that level of production all year.

Luis Álvarez (45/45), Beirut

Álvarez had several unimpressive seasons in the BBA under his belt before being picked up by Athens for 2045. He was then acquired through trade by the Cedars that same year. The twenty-nine year-old Hondruan has never stuck with a club for long, despite his reputation as a model citizen and good teammate. He can play the position and has shown brief flashes at the plate in the past, but offensive consistency has eluded him. This season looks like more of the same, with Álvarez putting up an OPS+ of 99 so far for Beirut. He won't embarrass you, but he won't wow you either.

Jim Abernathy (45/45), Athens

A career .219 hitter in the BBA, the expectations for Abernathy in Athens must have been modest. Abernathy is a very good defender, but his offense in 2045 was unsurprisingly woeful, to the tune of a 63 OPS+, however, 2046 has been another matter entirely. Abernathy is the proud owner of a 102 OPS+ through 56 games so far this season and it looks like the Centaurs' patience with this player has paid off.

Danny Glatz (45/45), Jerusalem

Drafted and developed by Jerusalem, Glatz is another young Australian player in the Hammers' lineup. Glatz can field second base competently and might some day hit for average, but the offense hasn't quite materialized yet. Still, he's just twenty-one and might come around. Currently his OPS+ sits at 81, and he's contributing a tick above replacement value.

Guillermo Fuentes (45/50), Baghdad

Scouts say that Fuentes shouldn't be a disaster of a hitter, but he's never been able to hit major league pitching. An excellent fielder, the twenty-six year-old Mexican just can't figure it out at the plate. His OPS+ so far in 2046 sits at 50, and there's just no way to put a shine on that. If he could just hit at a replacement level, he'd be an asset to his team. We'll see how patient the Kings are while he tries to develop as a hitter in the UMEBA.

Leonardo Rincón (40/40), Riyadh

This thirty-one year-old utility player and Minnesota native potentially gives the Red Crescents replacement level performance at multiple positions. He's a bit better in the outfield defensively, but has been pressed into service at second (because the manager bears a personal grudge against Freddy McCord, perhaps?). With an unimpressive OPS+ of 73, Rincón's natural position is on the bench.

Eric Bigalow (35/35), Cairo

Nothing about Bigalow's game stands out. Acquired by Cairo in the UMEBA Rule 5 draft this winter, Bigalow has provided Cairo with a near-replacement level performance in 32 appearances. Average hitting coupled with below average fielding is what he brings to the table. The twenty-six year-old Canadian is not a long-term solution for the Pharaohs.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/2047 - 11/06/2058)
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: 2046 UMEBA Postion Rankings (Second Basemen)

Post by tylertoo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:04 am

Great write up, once again! (And I'm not saying that because you put my guy up top :D )
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:15 am

Yes, unfortunately I inherited a sub standard infield. McCord has just been signed and I was intending to see which of the infield roles he could fill best but having lost Dominguez for a month Freddie will have to spend most of his time there for the next few weeks

The main problem with the UMEBA for the expansion teams in particular but really for most of the teams is that good defensive infielders that put up 100-150 OPS+ aren’t available in free agency and even if they were would never sign for an UMEBA team. So we have to put up with BBA retreads that are on the shelf because they do put up 40-60 OPS+ lol

If you look at all the best 2B’s here they mainly came from the super drafts the UMEBA once had , now we aren’t getting them anymore they are super hard to find anywhere
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

mragland
BBA GM

Post by mragland » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:33 am

I noticed the pickings in your most recent draft were mighty slim. That's gotta be tough for the expansion clubs.
Morris Ragland
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:47 pm

It is especially as the established UMEBA teams have had two mega drafts to fill their farm with while Riyadh & Cairo arrive to find the cupboard is bare. So we struggle on with ageing BBA (un)retired veterans and replacement level draftees
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

woods
Ex-GM

Post by woods » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:22 pm

Ha, I know my team has a problem when my first thought when reading these is, "I wonder who he's going to say my second baseman is."

For the record, though, Winston Abernathy is a bit better than Bigalow, and I probably would've listed him here. But you might be planning on putting him at shortstop, which would also be okay. Don't let me interfere with your process. Good work.
Woody Donahue
BBA GM
Boise Spuds (2047-2054)
Cairo Pharaohs - UMEBA (2046)

Vic Caleca UMEBA TN of the Year 2046

mragland
BBA GM

Post by mragland » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:41 pm

woods wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:22 pm
Ha, I know my team has a problem when my first thought when reading these is, "I wonder who he's going to say my second baseman is."

For the record, though, Winston Abernathy is a bit better than Bigalow, and I probably would've listed him here. But you might be planning on putting him at shortstop, which would also be okay. Don't let me interfere with your process. Good work.
I believe I picked Bigalow because, with lineups as currently constructed, he would be getting the most playing time at that position, i.e. Bigalow is starting against RHP.
Morris Ragland
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

mragland
BBA GM

Post by mragland » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:01 pm

Fat Nige wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:47 pm
It is especially as the established UMEBA teams have had two mega drafts to fill their farm with while Riyadh & Cairo arrive to find the cupboard is bare. So we struggle on with ageing BBA (un)retired veterans and replacement level draftees
Oof. I took a look at your feeder league. Help is not on the way.
Morris Ragland
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

jgg614
Ex-GM

Post by jgg614 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:46 pm

It's sad that somehow Fuentes is still the best bat option I have at 2B...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “GBC Features”