2044 Umeba Draft Notes

chicoruiz
BBA GM

2044 Umeba Draft Notes

Post by chicoruiz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:25 pm

DISCLAIMER: I didn’t research every player in this draft, and I certainly don’t have any insight that others don’t have. That said, I thought I’d knock something out just for fun. Also, I don’t say negative things about other GM’s picks, so don’t expect anything like that.

ATHENS
Overview: The only team to swim against the tide and not take a pitcher in round 1.
Round 1: C Tokimasa Yano. Strong offensive ratings across the board, rated “durable”, high loyalty and work ethic- what’s not to like?
Further down: SS Patrick Heregger, round 13. Probably lasted this long because of his contact rating, but he can play SS, has some pop and a good eye, so he’s worth a shot.

BAGHDAD
Overview: They went auto after four rounds, but still came up with some nice prospects.
Round 1: P Allan Stallard. A 10 curve, a 9 slider and an 8 fastball. Gets a lot of ground balls and is an excellent bunter, if you ever happen to need that sort of thing.
Further down: Is 2nd-rounder Tai Minh regarded as a pitcher or a hitter? And shouldn’t there be a player created now named “Tai Mout” to match up with him?

BEIRUT
Overview: This was a good year to pick at the end of the draft; plenty of goodies still available.
Round 1: P Liam Dalton. He has a slightly strained hamstring, which shouldn’t be an issue. Otherwise, all arrows point way up. It’s going to be a chore to find something different to say about all these round 1 pitching prospects.
Further down: It will be hard for pitchers taken in the later rounds to get into a rotation, but 9th-rounder German Evdakov has the tools to force his way into the picture.

BUCHAREST
Overview: The Impalers stayed with manual picks throughout the draft, and the extra care should pay off.
Round 1: P Owen Geddes. Already rates as a 45 at age 18. And nobody in the draft has better intangibles.
Further down: Bucharest kept taking guys I wanted before I could get to them, so obviously I’m going to like their draft. I don’t feel like putting any more links in this article than I already have to, so I’ll pick one: 2B Harry Stamper, a sixth-rounder who has everything except maybe foot speed.

JERUSALEM
Overview: Hey, that’s me. I think I did OK for an idiot newbie; got my #1 pitcher and my #2 position player. But what do I know?
Round 1: P Gary Goodchild. I’m a sucker for a knuckleballer; always have been.
Further down: I took C Michael Croucher in round 14. He’s okay, but mostly I took him because I couldn’t resist a catcher named “Croucher”.

LIBYAN
Overview: Such was the nature of this year’s draft that even with being currently vacant (as far as I know), the Libyans still did just fine for themselves.
Round 1: P Mahad Einan. Another early achiever with a 45 rating while still under 18. Only negative? His nickname is “Furball”, which can’t be good…
Further down: My gosh, how did a power-hitting OF like Stewart Frisby last till round 6? Maybe it was because his personality comment is “always asking questions”. Those guys can drive you crazy…

MANAMA
Overview: The Pearls took things to the extreme by only drafting pitchers. Don’t know how they’re all going to get innings, but I’m sure there’s a plan in place.
Round 1: P Santiago Zuniga. Owner of a killer slider, maybe the best in the draft. Also, his nickname is “Smooth”, which is much better than “Furball”.
Further down: Closer Ricardo Alomar (7th round) has a 10-rated fastball potential and a name that just screams “baseball player”.

MUMBAI
Overview: The first team to really get into drafting position players; they took six in a row beginning in round 3.
Round 1: P Gennady Zachinsky. He’s got a 10 curve and a 10 change, and he’s got a high rating already, and… that’s it… I’m broken... I can’t think of any more ways to describe really good teenage pitchers.
Further down: Mumbai’s rookie league team will apparently have a brother act DP combo after they took the two Greek infielders who were hot properties among the international FAs. I had Socrates Kazantziakis rated higher, but his brother went first, and since Mumbai got them both anyway, it really doesn’t matter.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: 2044 Umeba Draft Notes

Post by Dington » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 pm

chicoruiz wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:25 pm
2B Harry Stamper, a sixth-rounder who has everything except maybe foot speed.
Hey! My custom ammy! Made more since when Kuwait City Alhafr were still around haha. That must've been very time consuming with all the links. Good work.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

allenciox
Ex-GM

Post by allenciox » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 pm

Thanks for the post, chicoruiz. This was the draft of a lifetime for UMEBA. Maybe in a few years we will be playing exhibition games against BBA teams and beating them soundly.

With a draft of a hundred heroes, there is no doubt in my mind that you got the best of the bunch in Gary Goodchild. Who ever heard of a 12 rating on a knuckleball? That's virtually unhittable.

Generally, the big downside of a knuckleball is control. Knuckleballers often give up a lot of walks. But not this guy: only 1.56 BB/9 innings... that's Maddux-like numbers. Another issue is the "hanging" knuckleball, which is worse than a hanging curve, but this 17-year old has that down too --- only about .8 HR/9.

What is unbelievable are his stats. 0.89 ERA, an unbelievable 16.3 k/9 (despite only 83 mph velocity --- nobody can get a bat on the ball, I guess), and a 0.87 FIP (an incredible 20 FIP-).

And he can go to the majors right away. The only reason he might not win pitcher of the year this year is that Rabisca is already having a great year and will be pitching the whole season. But... I am just glad Jerusalem moved to Burt this year so we don't have to face him all that often.

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:58 am

Nice write up, Dalton was actually #1 on my list. Can't go into detail because of future drafts but he ticked multiple boxes.
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2051 75-87
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2049 72-81
Valencia Stars 2045-2047 185-301
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2042-2043 112-118
Cairo Chariot Archers BC 2041 8-5

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “GBC Features”