Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (BBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm 
General Manager

With the Twin Cities payroll escalating and younger star players coming into their first big contracts, GM Scott Piccoli is finally going to be tested with managing high priced talent.

"The Honeymoon is over for our core players, there's going to be some tough decisions. As they say, You cann't pay everyone," stated Scott. "The expansion draft may make some of these decisions easier, but who knows how that will play out."

The first decisions will be the three Team Options on key players. Remarkably, all three players collapsed this season, with production numbers that were well below their career averages.

Contributing the Team's extreme bullpen struggles, Felix Alvardo was shockingly bad this last season, putting up a sub 80% save rate and 8.0+ ERA before being demoted from the closer spot in early June. A far cry from his 38 saves and 2.42 ERA in 2033. Felix did finally bring his ERA 6.00, but the coaching staff never had the confidence to insert him back into high leverage situations.

Felix has $9.9 Million Team option that the team is sure to decline. So far however, the Front Office has refused to comment on the possible future of Alvardo with the River Monsters.

29 year old, RF Mark Sturdivant, lost his starting mid-way through the season, by hitting Sub-.200 through the first two months. Mark eventually showed signs of life and was able to put back into the lineup, mainly as a Right Platoon with Duane Whitely. Mark's .220 BA and .360 SLG were career lows. The emergence of a few youngster outfielders will likely make Mark and his upcoming $8 Million Team option expendable. At only 29 years old, Sturdivant still has a nice future in the BBA, just likely not at the salary he's used to seeing.

One of the OG River Monsters, SP Jessie Stewart has likely earned the benefit of the doubt going into the next season. That and the likely loss ofJuan Jose Eilzando will necessitate the team giving Jesse another shot resuming his place in the starting lineup. While never a considered an "Ace", Jesse has been a durable iron work horse for the staff. However, his struggles in the early going (8.00+ ERA thru June) and the emergence of rookie Josh Brown gave the team no choice but to remove Jessie from his starting duties and send him to the pen. Unable to get many innings, Jessie was never really given the chance to work out his issue. The team was in a serious hole by that time and couldn't afford to throw away starts hoping Stewart to regain his previous form.

"I'm sure it wasn't easy for Stewart to take the back seat in the bullpen. We offered to send him to AAA to work on some mechanics, but Jessie refused. Jessie has been an anchor on our staff, with just over 850 innings the previous four seasons," commented Manager Juan Williams on Jessie's struggles this season.

Jessie Stewart has a $6.6 Million team option coming up for 2035. It's expected that the team will elect to keep Jessie, as starting pitching remains a premium and the team is going need a solid 4th or 5th starter if the River Monsters wants to stay as the 2nd Ranked Starter ERA in the Frick League.

However, with the team likely to let go of Sturdivant and Alvardo, the Front Office is going free up much needed salary space to go sign extentions to the core infielding group that's the heart of the offense and team.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:26 pm 
League Director

So much of the pitching's issue seems to be BABIP-related. You have to think Stewart would return on that deal, and Alvarado would not, almost regardless of performance. Alvarado's situation is the most interesting, as his FIP was moderately stable. Sturdanvant probably didn't help things with his defense. -12 ZR is hard to overcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:24 pm 
General Manager

Stewart was bad bad with a 5.11 FIP. Alvardo was unlucky bad with a 4.05 FIP. I don't think I'd bring either back at what their team options are slated to earn them, though. Sturdivant, either, since he has devolved into a mediocre RH DH platoon bat - and that is just about the most abundant resource in the world.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:27 pm 
General Manager

I really hope that you expose better players than these clowns in the expansion draft

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:07 pm 
General Manager

felipe wrote:
I really hope that you expose better players than these clowns in the expansion draft

lol... What? I thought you liked the circus?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:09 pm 
General Manager

Clowns are creepy

Clowns getting paid $10 million annually?

Fuckin terrifying

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:41 pm 
League Director

agrudez wrote:
Stewart was bad bad with a 5.11 FIP. Alvardo was unlucky bad with a 4.05 FIP. I don't think I'd bring either back at what their team options are slated to earn them, though. Sturdivant, either, since he has devolved into a mediocre RH DH platoon bat - and that is just about the most abundant resource in the world.

Stewart's FIP- has been workable in the past. You won't win a championship with him in yor top three, but you might with him in the #4/5 slot.

Or, more perhaps more interesting, he might make a very good bullpen guy with a conversion.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:47 pm 
General Manager

RonCo wrote:
agrudez wrote:

Stewart's FIP- has been workable in the past. You won't win a championship with him in yor top three, but you might with him in the #4/5 slot.

Or, more perhaps more interesting, he might make a very good bullpen guy with a conversion.

I think I have a decent grasp on understanding offense ratings and scraping together lineups, but pitching still seems to elude me.

What I mean... If you show me a pitcher with ratings only and nothing else (no past stats, no current stats, etc), I'll have a hard time telling you if the pitcher will be good or not. I mean outside of the obvious ones like Chris Kelly.

There's pitchers that I think should do great and end up sucking. Then then there's those whose ratings seem sub-par, but then kill it.

I suppose I'll get it eventually through trial and error.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:51 pm 
League Director

Among the issues with pitchers are:

1) the impact of actual pitches in a guys repertoire are hard to ascertain clearly.
2) The impact of ratings compression and distribution make players with ratings that look the same perform differently. So in some ways, you have to use stats and sample sizes to get a feel for what you think the truth is.