Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (BBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm 
General Manager

Omaha’s excitement of advancing to the DoubleDay Series ended nearly as quickly as it began after being swept 4-0 by Calgary in the best of 7 series.

Omaha dropped the first two games 2-8 and 5-9 at Calgary, and were down 2-0 to bring the series back to Omaha. Omaha quickly lost the first 2 games by a score of 5-7 and 5-9 to end their magical run.

“I thought our kids played hard. We got further than many had us picked at going and it is a great building block for next year.” Said manager Quentin Richardson. “I know that those making the roster decisions have us on the upswing and will allow us to come back better than ever next year”. He continued.

Omaha does have quite a bit of roster space with a payroll currently of $60.7 this year and a projected payroll of $62.1 next season. Nearly $10 million of that is expected to be removed however as Dave Robertson (5/6/8/6/3 Talents, .193/.238/.412, 6 HR, 15 RBI)’s option is not expected to be executed and Jesus Alvarado is not expected to be offered arbitration.

Another $24 million will more than likely be available for the taking as it is expected Omaha will not protect Jack Gulliver (9/7/7/7/7 Talents, .246/.313/.403, 11 HR, 55 RBI), Hiroyuki Rin (10/7/8 Talents, 3 - 8, 5.70 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, 43 K), or Patrick Lue (7/8/8/6/6 Talents, .228/.286/.402, 16 HR, 49 RBI) in the expansion draft. Imagine a perfect world where all 3 of those came off the books leaving Omaha with a payroll south of $30 million. Another possibility is Joe Clements (9/6/5 Talents, 10 - 13, 5.57 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 110 K) coming off the books since the starting rotation seems to set with out him having a spot.

For now, it is time for the team to rest and get healthy for next season. Most notably injured this season were Jimmy Starks, Jr. (8/8/7/7/7 Talents, .261/.350/.378, 3 HR, 16 RBI) who has been out since Memorial Day weekend with a broken elbow. Starks replacement Jesus Rojas who has been off and on injured all season, missing 12 weeks in total. Also notable was Aymeric Barajas (7/8/6/7/7 Talents, .248/.350/.409, 14 HR, 58 RBI), who played through a 4 week back injury. All outfielders. A healthy crew next season could be a huge improvement to the teams aspirations of playoff baseball.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 pm 
League Director

Omaha is going to be tough to beat for the forseeable future.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 pm 
General Manager

I hope so...I feel awkward having so much money to spend since my payroll will be so low, but the kids eventually will have to be paid...I am thinking signing some vets to 1-2 year deals though is not out of the question. We shall see. I think SS is going to be a need for me as I don't envision Monger there permanently. I think the right thing to do is probably move Monger to 2B, Morales to 3B, and Moore/Mack to DH. Barajas, Starks, Olivarez, Pichon, Rosas have to form some sort of outfield lol. Rosas can actually fill in at 2B & SS if needed on a utility level which is a bit helpful. I think my rotation is set along with my bullpen.

Just have to figure out that damn SS position.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 pm 
League Director

Monger's most valuable role is a tough one. He's young enough that he could still grow some in the field--which would make that decision a lot easier. Or he's weak enough that he won't grow, so leaving him there will hurt because his bat is only Good rather than Great. Welcome to the big leagues, I guess. Of course, his team beat mine, so what do I know?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:31 pm 
General Manager

I’m getting the distinct feeling that this expansion draft is going to be very disappointing