Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (BBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:49 pm 
League Director

Reserve Outfileder Is Last of Team's Arby Cases

With the signings of Aaron Stone (8/8/9/8/5 Talents) and Carlos Garcia (5/8/6/9/3 Talents) to one-season extensions, the Nine front office turned their attention the last arbitration case they have on hand, specifically outfielder Dave Molina (5/4/9/6/5 Talents). At 26, the hard-hitting right handed bat blasted 16 homers in 309 plate appearances, posting a .263/.321/.495 slash. He also played serviceable defense across the board.

The resident of Orlando, Florida also hit 15 doubles and posted a WAR. Most projections suggest he’ll be awarded something in the range of $1.3M if the pair were to go to arbitration, and the Nine have been known to be generous in these situations in order to avoid the ugliness of a face-to-face shoot out. The fact that Molina can play a solid center field makes him more attractive, both on the field and as a possible trade chip.

Assuming the team follows up on their expectation to have Garcia platoon with youthful Mauro Saucedo (7/7/6/5/10 Talents), one would think Molins is the odd man out, but Molina picked up left field quickly last year, and the team sees him in the same kind of role that Roberto Miranda served for several seasons.

“It’s great to have a utility knife kind of outfielder on the roster,” said manager Bret Richards. “He’s a different kind of offensive player than Miranda was, of course, but I’m always comfortable that when I call on Molina, he’s ready to go.”

Others have not been so kind, suggesting that Molina has moment where he doesn’t show the kind of effort you’d like. “He’s a good guy,” said one teammate. “Don’t get me wrong. Fun to be around. But, you know, sometimes he’s like the first one to the lunch buffet and the last to head up to the field, if you know what I mean.”

Assuming the rumors are right, though, the Molina family might soon be able to pay for quite a few buffets of their own.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:26 pm 
PR Director/Historian

I don't think I'm going to be able to afford to put out extension offers to my arb guys. Could be an ugly arb season in Long Beach.

Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes
2025 EBA Champions

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm 
League Director

Some of the purpose of the deals we made through the season were with an eye toward what we could afford in the off-season. It might have cost us a Landis, but we got Dave Molina for another year!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:25 pm 
General Manager

He’s not really Louisville material,

But it’s nice that he can find a home with a second division team