Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:33 pm 
General Manager

Taking sick pleasure in their spoiler role, Omaha was able to put a serious dent in Twin Cities' playoff hopes with two soul crushing one run wins. After the River Monsters losing 2 of 3 to the Barmstormers, their destiny is now out of their hands as Calgary took care of business against Des Moines with a 4 game sweep and only needs to win 2 of their final 4 games to seal up a Wild Card Sport. Going into the their final series, both Calgary and TWC have tough roads ahead of them, finishing against Louisville and Long Beach respectively.

Reviewing playoff scenarios, Calgary secures the Wild Card with the following;
Calgary - 2 wins or more (vs Louisville)
or
Calgary - 1 Win with 1 TWC Loss

Calgary and Twin Cities will end with a tie;
If TWC doesn't lose and Calgary goes 1-3
or
Twin Cities goes 3-1 and Calgary goes 0-4

The only chance Twin Cities has to win a Wild Card spot outright would be for them to perform a 4 game sweep of Long Beach, followed with Calgary losing 4 straight to Louisville.

Previewing the River Monsters finale series against Long Beach, the starting pitching has stepped their game recently. Which is fortunate since the bullpen is still a roaring inferno, losing games in the late innings.

1st Up, Jose De La Cruz has done an excellent job filling in for injured starter, Travis Arnold, with two recent 8 inning+ quality starts.

2nd, Jessie Stewart has finally found his groove after a disappointing season to date. In a critical game against Yellow Springs, he pitched a 3 hit shut out where the winning run was unearned.

3rd - Reese Rayner surpassed his long time friend, Jessie, to inherent the #1 starting spot. Reese has a surprising 7 complete games this season and 18 quality starts. If TWC can win the first two games against Long Beach, this game will be Rayner's biggest yet in his young career.

4th - To close out the season, veteran mid-season pick-up Tavio Ciccolella will take the ball. Despite the recent drama in the news over the break down with his contract extension talks, Tavio is on a hot streak with 3 quality starts including a one run complete game against Des Moines. The Fiesty popular Italian believes himself to be one of the prime available Free Agents this off season and this game will be his chance to prove he has what it takes to pitch in the clutch. If the dominoes fall just right and Twin Cities still has a chance when Tavio takes the ball, GM Piccoli may just roll over and pay the man what he's demanding... Not likely though.

One a positive note, the River Monsters collected their 83rd win this week, securing the Franchise's first winning record. Regardless of the outcome this week, the Owner and Fans are extremely excited for the team's future over the next few seasons. There's an extremely solid core of infielders and OF Mark Sturdivant backed off his plan to go the free agent route in the off-season and signed a three year extension.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:38 pm 
General Manager

Also, good luck Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:05 am 
General Manager

Outstanding season from the River Monsters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 am 
General Manager

RonCo wrote:
Outstanding season from the River Monsters.

Thanks - The anticipation of the final regular season sim is killing me this morning... lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 am 
General Manager

agreed, nice work by the river monsters this season. Nice to see one of the little guys rise up, gives the rest of us hope.

To give anything less than your best is the sacrifice the gift- Steve Prefontaine
When my time on earth is gone and my activities here are past, I want them to bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass.- Bobby Knight