Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:50 pm 
General Manager

EDMONTON -- In the absence of any long-term leadership, bench coach Jose Osorio has been named the interim manager of the Edmonton Jackrabbits.

Osorio, a 54-year-old New Hampshire native, has served as Edmonton's bench coach in each of their previous three seasons. While the team has enjoyed very little overall success, Osorio has developed a good relationship with the Rabbits as a laid-back influence.

"I think it's good that we're not adding any tension to the dugout by bringing in somebody totally off-the-wall this early in the season," said Osorio. "These can be trying times for the players. You're back seven, and it can feel like you're stagnating. I'm by no means trying to toot my own horn here, but I think an in-house replacement says 'let's right the ship' rather than 'we don't have the answers.'"

General manager Brandon Brooks expressed confidence in Osorio's ability to hold down the fort, but wouldn't comment on whether or not the team was actively looking for a replacement.

"We'd like to see Osorio work with these guys for the rest of the year," Brooks said. "We're going to look at all of the options this winter in terms of replacements and replacement candidates at all levels. If we decide that we need to have some interviews for the managerial position, Jose is definitely going to be on that shortlist."

Osorio's contract with Edmonton expires after the 2033 season.

Starting pitcher Alfredo Martinez expressed a general sense of positivity around Osorio's appointment.

"Oso is good people," said Martinez, who had attended the press conference. "He's been through the creation of this team and this environment as much as the rest of us have, and I think he has a lot of understanding with us. He's always been easy to talk to."

Closer Domingo Ayala (1 - 4, 6.35 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, 14 K) had less praise for the new skipper.

"I want to win," he said. "I want this team to win. I want to make Edmonton fans happy, I want to make the fans happy wherever I play, but it can be hard not to feel like we need more help. And I don't know how much more help this is. But we'll see. Nobody has answers right now."

As a corresponding move, Double-A hitting coach Bob Quinn has been named the active bench coach for the Edmonton Jackrabbits, which leaves a vacancy in the minor leagues that will be filled soon.

Edmonton Jackrabbits: 2032 -