Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:26 pm 
General Manager

EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Jackrabbits shocked their fanbase last week, as general manager Rhys Allen stepped down shortly into the 2032 season. The baseball outlets of Edmonton went into a frenzy of speculation to ascertain the identity of his replacement, but it wasn't until today that Allen's successor was confirmed. Brandon Brooks, a junior executive from an independent league, had won the job just weeks after an unsuccessful interview for the same position within the Havana organization.

This morning, Brooks sat down for an introductory press conference to field questions about his newly-realized command of the team. Listed below are select inquiries and responses from the interview.

~~~

Q. You came from an independent league, so your only exposure to the Brewster is what little research you did during your two interviews for a general management position. Do you think your lack of exposure and familiarity with the league will hinder you, or put you at any sort of disadvantage compared to the rest of your competition?

A. The key to running a successful franchise is having talented players. At the end of the day, that's all there is to it. If I can identify and acquire talent in an independent league, I can do it here. Now, I will acknowledge that there's a learning curve. There's always going to be a learning curve with something like this. But I think I'm at an advantage coming into the league during the middle of a season. I don't feel any sort of pressure to break the bank and make a bunch of flashy moves like I might if I were taking control of this team at the start of a free agency period. This team was assembled by a competent individual and I'm going to let these boys do their thing while drafting a plan for the offseason.

Q. Does this mean that you'll be an inactive trading partner?

A. It depends on the market. I'll certainly listen to offers. I just mean I will be more calculated than I am reactionary during these first few months.

Q. Lots of times when a new GM is put into place, new managers and coaches quickly follow. Will that be the case with you?

A. I want to make it clear that everyone's job is safe. We have a vacancy in our managerial spot, but that will be filled in-house for the remainder of 2032. I think that axing personnel and trying to find replacements, either in-house or on the market, would be detrimental to the clubhouse atmosphere and harm the development and morale of a lot of these young guys. This is going to be as smooth of a transition as possible. If we have any concerns, we'll address them at the end of the season.

Q. Can you talk about the state of the Edmonton franchise?

A. This is an incredibly young franchise, and I'm honestly very excited to get in very near the ground floor. This is a team with hardly any history, no playoff appearances, no winning seasons, nothing. It's only our fourth year in existence. I'm lucky enough to be able to build this team from the ground up, and experience the first franchise greats, retire the first numbers, witness the first Jackrabbit Hall of Fame inductees. I really feel like this team is mine now and I'm going to do everything I can to make it a competitive franchise.

There's a lot of work to be done. We need to develop a reputation for a top-tier farm system. We need to create a plan and stick to it. But now is the time to start paying attention to Edmonton, because the bandwagon is coming soon, and you'll want to say you were here before it arrived.

Q. You mentioned the farm. Who's down there right now?

A. Two words: Bobby Lynch. Just you guys wait.

Q. Let's talk attendance. How are you going to draw fans to come see a struggling expansion team when your biggest draw seems to be guys who are still in the minors?

A. Like I said, get in now so you can say "I was here when" later. That's not the most compelling argument, I know, but I think true baseball fans will agree with me here. It takes time and energy and effort to build a contender out of literally nothing, but we're still going to be going out there every single day, and trying to win every single game. We will provide the fans with competitive baseball. On an individual level, fans should be excited about coming to the park to see guys like Felix Duarte and Luke Jordan. There's plenty to cheer about here.

Q. Any final thoughts?

A. There's going to be a lot of news coming out of Edmonton for the foreseeable future. I'm just as excited about this franchise as the fans are. Get ready, because this franchise is gonna take you on the ride of a lifetime. Down the rabbit hole we go.

Q. Thank you for your time.

A. Thank you.

Edmonton Jackrabbits: 2032 -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:28 pm 
Vice Commissioner

*sigh* Bobby Lynch. You realize he has a 47/2 K/BB ratio at Winnipeg? 47 to 2!

It's a brand-new team with no track record of success yet, but that's what makes it interesting I bet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:51 pm 
General Manager

aaronweiner wrote:
*sigh* Bobby Lynch. You realize he has a 47/2 K/BB ratio at Winnipeg? 47 to 2!

It's a brand-new team with no track record of success yet, but that's what makes it interesting I bet.

Those are double-take numbers. Here's hoping they translate.

A brand-new team certainly makes for a quicker time absorbing the franchise history, that's for sure. And allows for more time absorbing the league history.

Edmonton Jackrabbits: 2032 -