Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (BBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 pm 
Commissioner

Turn back the clock to November 9, 1999.
Riley Hinson, then 33 years old, had just finished up the season with the Las Vegas Hustlers. It would be his last significant playing time in the Brewster, with catching since age 17 having taken its toll on his body. Today was a big day for the Hinson family, not because of a big baseball game, rather for the birth of a baby boy.

"I remember seeing him for the first time," said Riley Hinson. "What an amazing feeling it was to bring a son into this world. We had decided when we found out we were having a boy that we would name him Elroy Hinson, in honor of my good friend and teammate Elroy Futon. Looking at this baby boy with all of his life ahead of him was an amazing feeling."

Fast forward to April 30, 2017.
Seventeen years had passed, and the young Hinson was now a huge prospect eligible for the 2017 Brewster Amateur Draft. Hinson was clearly the best prospect in the draft pool, and the Vancouver Mounties shocked no one by choosing Elroy with the first overall pick. "Massive pride," replied Riley Hinson when asked how he felt on this day. "Elroy wasn't handed anything coming up, he didn't get a free ride because he had a famous father. Since a young age he had been coming with me to the park, working out with Elroy Futon and others to hone his craft. He put in hours of work every single day. I knew he would be a success as long as he kept up the hard work and dealt with struggles well."

Moving on to 2020...
After struggling at first in the minor leagues, he finally caught fire in the first half of 2020 with Vancouver's top farm club in Victoria (AAA). The Mounties called him up midway through the 2020 season and he made his major league debut at age 20, ultimately putting in a solid rookie season in 50 games (.258/.281/.522/.802, 12 homers, 33 RBI, 1.8 WAR).

August 11th, 2022
In his third season with the Mounties, the unexpected happened. He was traded to the Halifax Hawks in a mega-deal. Chris Robillard, then the Hawks GM, said "I wanted to say that I know I overpaid here. I did it consciously because I don't give a shit and I wanted Hinson." Elroy would go on to play the rest of 2022 and the next six full seasons with the Hawks in the prime of his career.

Homecoming: December 1, 2028
With the Hawks direction in question, Tim Meseck (now the Hawks GM) decided to pull the trigger on another large deal that sent Hinson back to the Mounties. The league response was mixed. "Not sure trading away the model teammate and captain is the way to fix a bad clubhouse but you certainly get a great young lefty slugger back in return," said Tyler Simmons of the Jacksonville Hurricanes. When asked for comment Meseck was blunt. "Resetting this thing... Hinson was on the block for a few years and Brett got his guy. Going youth and Kontos should be a good one I Halifax. Let's see what happens."

An Even Bigger Homecoming: July 14, 2034
After seventeen years of pursuit, Las Vegas GM Matt Rectenwald finally gets his man in a trade with Vancouver. Said Mounties GM Brett Schroeder, "Hinson will be missed. One of my favorite players all time but he has a shot at a title now being the guy who possibly put Vegas over the hump while being managed by his hall of fame father in his hometown. That is one hell of a story brewing!" One hell of a story indeed. Now 68 years old (where does the time go?), Riley Hinson (manager) has been at the helm of the Hustlers as manager since 2021 and has made the playoffs every season...but has only won a single championship (in 2027). Now with father and son in tow, can the Hinson family finally get this ballclub over the top? It is a story that Las Vegas fans and Brewster fans in general will be watching closely as the 2034 season wears on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:30 pm 
PR Director/Historian

Great story

Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes
2025 EBA Champions

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:00 pm 
General Manager

Gotta get in the playoffs first before you can win the title.

Landis Champion- 2034
Johnson Champion- 2034
Johnson League Southern- 2034
Wild Card- 2033

When my time on earth is gone and my activities here are past, I want them to bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass.- Bobby Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:21 pm 
General Manager

Love it.

Vancouver Mounties GM '10 - '34
JL Pacific Champs '10, '12, '21, '22, '28

California Crusaders GM '96 - '05
JL Pacific Champs '02
Landis Champs '02