Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:42 am 
General Manager

Sparks Fly From Arevalo and Nava

You can forgive Juan Arevalo a little excess vinegar, can’t you? The 28-year-old second baseman was traded to Long Beach last off-season after spending several productive seasons with the Nine. On the other hand, maybe not.

In the 7th inning of a long-lost game (the Nine were up 10-1), Arevalo faced journeyman minor leaguer Manuel Nava, and popped up. As he returned to the dugout Arevalo made a comment to Nava. “He said not to get too proud,” Nava said with a gleam in his eye that said those may not have been Arevalo’s exact words. “I just told him this team’s going to the playoffs.”

Whatever Arevalo actually said, or whatever Nava replied with, the fact is that Arevalo made a 90-degree turn and charged the mound. Nava dropped his glove, and the two commenced to a wrestling match that the WWF is rumored to be considering certifying as a championship match. When it was over, the benches had cleared and both Nava and Arevalo were ejected.

“I’ll be back,” Arevalo said. “I’m not so sure about him.”

It’s been a tough year for Arevalo. He’s hit only .191, though has still shown great power (10 homers in just 251 AB.His glove has stayed solid, even playing part-time at shortstop. “Everyone knows I can still get it done,” Arevalo said. “I just need to show them.”

The suspension of Nava, in the meantime, has pretty much brought his season and possibly has big league career to an impasse. At 29, the ancient rookie was seeing the first BBA level action of his career this fall, and it didn’t go particularly well (14.29 ERA, a couple homers in 5.2 innings, and (of course) the suspension. If we were the Texan native, we might consider downsizing the home now.