Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:27 pm 
General Manager

DENIES HE’S HURT

YS9 fans and front office folks who have been struggling to get a grip on what’s happening with “Crash” LaLoosh this year got a bit of an insight yesterday when he sat down with Larry Gaswright of ESPN’s new feature “Thirty Minutes With The Gas Man.”

Gaswright led last y ear’s Nebraska Award winner through a series of questions regarding his storied family and his childhood before getting to his award-winning season (19-6, 2.45) and then touching on what it’s been like defending the crown rather than shooting for it.

“Oh, I was never shooting for it,” LaLoosh said of the process. “I know enough to realize that only a meathead focuses on the award. All I was trying to do was win a pennant. Same for defending it.” That said, he acknowledged that he came into the season feeling different. “There’s just something about it, you know? I mean, you try to focus on the moment, just do your best, but the guys look at you different and the press expects certain things that they didn’t. So you have to feel things out differently.”

Among the things that are different this year are LaLoosh’s numbers, which are strangely all just kind of down, starting mostly with his strikeouts”

K/9: 2031 = 8.8, 2032 = 7.8
BB/9: 2031 = 2.1, 2032 = 2.9
HR/9: 2032 = 1.0, 2032 = 1.1

All total it’s an extra run and a half on his ERA (2.45 > 4.02), which seems substantial, especially since his BABIP delta isn’t much (.282 vs. last season’s .279). He’s still a positive pitcher in this league, mind you, his record is 11-10, and his ERA+ stands at 110, but no one in their right mind, including LaLoosh himself, would compare these two seasons in any way. In addition, it’s not like LaLoosh has been terribly erratic. No, despite a bit of an uptick that saw him find form in July, LaLoosh’s seasons is best described as a slog through mediocrity. His last two outings, for example, have seen him give up 3 runs a game in 5.1 and 6.1 innings, striking out 12. Good, not great. Certainly not Nebraska-quality.

“I’m not hurt,” he told the Gas Man at one point in their talk. “Physically I feel fine.”

“So what’s the problem?” Gaswright asked back.

LaLoosh shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess maybe I’ve just got the blahs.”

Hmmmm...say the fans. You're making $12.5M now. Time to suck it up and make something happen.