Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:24 pm 
General Manager

Goes Immediately Into the Toilet

After a summer’s worth of negotiation, the Yellow Springs Nine front office announced they have come to an agreement with center fielder Carlos Garcia that will allow them to avoid the arbitration process for one year. The deal pays Garcia $2.35M next year.

Garcia came up in 2029, and has been a solid player, posting 2.7 and 3.5 WAR the past two seasons, before fading a bit this season. He turned 26 this past summer, and some are wondering if his primary assets—his speed and his ability to get on base, might be on the decline. His OBP, which was in the .340s the past two seasons, has dropped to .333, and his slugging is down a hundred points. In the field, his generally positive presence has been on the wane, too (-3.1 ZR is his first negative).

Given these numbers some insiders suggested the team could have waited another month and gotten him cheaper. Garcia had been rumored to have been holding out for upwards of $3 earlier in the season.

“I’m thrilled to have Carlos back next year, and I’m happy to be paying him a solid market value,” said GM Ron Collins. “I don’t think he’s lost anything at all. Numbers happen, you know? The game is random to some degree, and when you see what Carlos can do—especially against left-handed pitching—you see how valuable he is.”

Garcia’s detractors note that his performance in the past week or two has been particularly horrendous, a .068 batting average in 29 at bats. “I guess that’s what happens once a guy gets to living high on the hog,” one fan said.

The move means that the pairing of LHB Francisco Delgado and RHB Garcia will likely return to the team next season, assuming Delgado doesn’t exercise the opt-out in his contract, which team leaders seem convinced he won’t. Delgado has been playing across the entire outfield this y year, and has responded with a .304/.328/.529 season so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:22 pm 
League Director

I wish I had know that Reynaldo Martinez had a date with the lumpmonster before I let Delgado walk. Martinez was 7/7/7/4/7 at the time. *Sigh*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:35 pm 
General Manager

We're Delgado fans. :)