Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:47 am 
General Manager

Continues Nasty 5 String of Dominance

Rick Ward arrived in Yellow Springs with a bucket of excitement and a gaggle of questions. His ERA stood at 4.82, and he had just given up 8 earned runs in a huge loss to Charm City. What a difference a month can make.

For eight and a third innings tonight Ward tossed his blistering fastball toward the plate where Valencia’s hitters stood by, helpless. He struck out 8 Stars and scattered eight hits while throwing 105 pitches, giving up nothing. Squat. Bupkiss. For this effort, Ward notched his 4th straight victory in Yellow Springs, raising his overall record to 9-12.

“It’s fun to be here,” he said. “This team reminds me of some of those Brooklyn teams of the past. It knows how to win.”

Young shortstop Angel De Castillo blasted a solos shot to right in the second inning to start the scoring. Lucas McNeill would add a triple and a pair of stolen bases as the Nine would tack three more runs on as the game progressed, but that was all the margin Ward would need.

Ward’s gem keyed the team’s second straight shut-out, Chavez and a couple relievers having turned the trick last night. Combined with LaLoosh’s work the night before, and Lopez’s the night before that (both giving 1 run allowed), that means the rotation—a rotation that fans were awkwardly excited about before the season began, and that they are beginning to call the Nasty Five—has allowed only two runs in their last four games.

“It’s coming together, you know?” said manager Bret Richards. “These guys are all fantastic. I look a lot smarter when I can pencil a guy like Rick Ward into the #4 slot.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:25 pm 
General Manager

Glad I could get all his bad starts out of the way for you. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:09 pm 
General Manager

The FH is a much nicer pitching environment than the JA, so I expected he would do his thing better here. He's been much stronger than expected, though. Hope we can keep him in the rotation for another season or two before he has to hoof it out to the bullpen.