Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:47 pm 
General Manager

As the calendar moves into September, BBA teams area allowed to expand their rosters. It’s an important time for a lot of players—some kids who are looking for the chance to make a difference, older guys looking to make Free Agent cash, aging stars trying to make a final hurrah. They all care about September. But perhaps nothing is as important about this period this year for the Yellow Springs ballclub as the ability to put some players on the roster who can help them wring a couple more wins.

Who are these guys we might see?

Well, here are a few thoughts:

Pitchers

SP Glenn Avery (6/8/6 Ratings): Avery is a guy that lots of scouts are suddenly excited about. At 26, he’s getting long in the tooth. But he’s got the look of a guy who’s finally getting it, and his numbers the last half of the season were rock-solid overall. Look for the team to bring him up and let him throw from the pen this year.

SP Francisco Catazara (7/4/9 Ratings): Ante Frank lost most of this year to injury. He came back and pitched well enough to be considered viable. He’s had parts of two seasons with the team. If Bret Richards and Robert LaLoosh think he can go, look for him in the Yellow Springs pen, too.

RP: Jose Lopez (6/6/8 Ratings): Solid veteran who could add value.

RP – Alfredo Martinez (8/6/6 Ratings): Interesting candidate. Pitched lights out in AAA. Could add value.

C – Aaron Stone (7/8/7/4/5 Ratings): 21 year-old OPSed .921 in AAA. Backstopof the future. Would be good to get him used to the uniform.

2B – Bill Benson (5/5/5/5/5 Ratings)/Joe Charbonneau: Interesting option for platooning at 2B next season or the year after.

OF – Octavio Rivera (6/7/6/6/5 Ratings): Solid bat from the left side. Could be a DH at times to give others a bit of a rest.

CF – Angel Hernandez (5/5/5/5/7 Ratings): Seemed to get his mojo back in Flagstaff. Has value if he can hit a little, and if nothing else could give Carlos Garcia (5/8/6/8/3 Ratings) a little rest and relaxation prior to the playoffs (assuming they come).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:00 pm 
General Manager

I love this time of year. People bring up too many scrubs and lose games they could have won. I'll switch to a 6 man rotation if im majorly frontrunning maybe in the name of rest and force start the bench guys I have already a bit more but that's all I have ever done. The fatigue factor (especially with position players) is totally overblown if you have been careful all year and have a good bullpen.

Also im surprised you put any weight at all on minor league numbers. I find them to be absolutely meaningless.

W/L Record: 1084 - 1184
JL Pacific Champs '10, '12, '21, '22

California Crusaders GM '96 - '05
W/L Record: 873 - 747
JL Pacific Champs '02
Landis Champs '02

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:28 pm 
General Manager

I put tremendous weight on minor league numbers myself. Depends what stat it is and what the prospect's relative age is to his league. So yeah, I look at their minor league stats. Hello....Quintana!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:20 am 
League Director

I never really know what to make of minor league numbers. Sometimes I promote a guy who is struggling a level (because his development warrants it) and he takes off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 am 
General Manager

bschr682 wrote:
I love this time of year. People bring up too many scrubs and lose games they could have won. I'll switch to a 6 man rotation if im majorly frontrunning maybe in the name of rest and force start the bench guys I have already a bit more but that's all I have ever done. The fatigue factor (especially with position players) is totally overblown if you have been careful all year and have a good bullpen.

Yes, we're going to have to think through what we want to do. Always fun.

Quote:
Also im surprised you put any weight at all on minor league numbers. I find them to be absolutely meaningless.

All performances have meaning. The challenge is to decide how much weight to put on them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 am 
General Manager

felipe wrote:
I put tremendous weight on minor league numbers myself. Depends what stat it is and what the prospect's relative age is to his league. So yeah, I look at their minor league stats. Hello....Quintana!

I use stats like that heavily in deciding to promote through the lower minors, because rating bands are so narrow.

It is quite possible to do a decent job managing an organization using stats alone. It takes work and it's sloppy, but it's kind of fun.