Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:57 pm 
General Manager

Lopez Given All-Clear

While the players enjoyed a well-earned day off, manger Bret Richards and pitching coach Robert LaLoosh caucused to discuss the rotation, which has been in a bit of a hodge-podge disarray with Eduardo Lopez (10/8/6 Ratings, 13 - 9, 3.44 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 143 K)’s sore shoulder. After looking at several options, the team has announced their likely rotation going forward. This is important because the club will have 18 days until their next off day.

Here’s what to expect.

Lopez First

The team’s medical staff has given the hard-throwing left hander a clean bill of health now, and the team looks likely to start him the first game of the four-game series with Valencia. “I told Eduardo that he should plan to just sit here on the bench with me for the next five days,” Richards said when announcing he was “pushing back” the veteran lefty.

“It was fine by me,” Lopez said. “I got my chips and my coke, and watched the guys win. It was fun. We’re a pretty good team.”

Fun or not, Lopez’s return is a welcome sight to fans who were perhaps concerned that his injury could linger. He’s 13-9 on the season, but was on of the league’s hottest pitchers prior to being pushed back.

LaLoosh “Moved Up”

In addition, the two starts from Randall Thomas (8/6/7 Ratings, 6 - 2, 3.62 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 56 K) have paid dividends both in wins and by combining with a day off, thereby creating the opportunity to reshuffle the deck a bit. Look for Crash LaLoosh to start game two of the series as he continues his quest for the Nebraska Award.

“Don’t do that,” LaLoosh said. “It’s not about the Nebraska at all. I just want to help the team win. Besides, there are several really good pitchers in the mix for that, including a couple of the guys on this staff.

Regardless of his commentary, LaLoosh has been one of the most dominant pitchers in the league, and he’ll take his next start on Tuesday. He’s 14-4 on the season, and has not allowed a run in either of his last two starts, striking out 10 and 14 hitters.

Dogface is #3

Jose Chavez (10/7/6 Ratings, 12 - 4, 4.31 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 112 K) is 9-1 in his last ten decisions (12-4 on the year), and is riding two straight outings where he dominated opponents, striking out 10 Tropics and 9 Kernels. If those two outings are indicative of the kind of baseball Chavez will be pitching the rest of the year, Nine fans will be very happy.

Ward Given Extra Rest

By moving Rick Ward (9/8/7 Ratings, 8 - 12, 4.64 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 128 K) to game four, it gives him a bit of an extra span to rest, which is a big deal to some fans who were worried about that 123 pitch outing that preceded his last horrendous outing. Ward himself discounted such concerns, but facts are facts. The fact that everyone hopes is the overriding one is that Rick ard is 3-0 in his four starts, and that the team has won all four games.

By putting Ward in the number four slot, they give him 9 whole days to recuperate, and also set up a very nice righty/lefty 1-2-3-4-5 punch. Which leads us to …

Will the Real Sanchez Stand Up?

If we’re laying facts on the table, one of the most important is that Alberto Sanchez (7/7/8 Ratings, 6 - 6, 3.81 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 90 K) has clearly not been the pitcher he was since coming back from his stint on the DL. His ERA has ballooned from 2.60 to 3.81, and the team has lost all six of his starts. Sliding him to #5 means he, too, will get 9 days of rest. It also means he’ll start game one of the Indy series.