Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 pm 
General Manager

Guerra Homer Makes Difference

It took home runs by Jose Gonzalez, Earl Jackson, and Victor Guerra to save Rick Ward from his first loss as a Nine, but that’s what he got.

“The guys saved my ass tonight,” Ward said after allowing the Des Moines Kernels five first inning runs. “But that’s baseball. It’s what a good team does—pick up after each other.”

The right hander knew he didn’t have his A-grade stuff when he first took the hill. “Sometimes you just know,” Ward said. “ I sat down with Jose (catcher Jose Pena) and told him we were going to have to work the process a bit. Turns out we maybe needed to work it a bit more.”

At the end of the day, it was a gritty outing, though. Des Moines touched Ward for five first inning runs on a pair of homers, but the veteran knuckled down and worked through four innings, holding the Kernels scoreless the rest of the day. “I thought I could have gone longer,” he said of the 80 pitch outing, but Bret knows what he’s doing. Jose Marroquin got the win, David Cantu his 9th save since joining the team.

Given the dire situation on the mound, it’s good the bats exploded, the final four runs coming on a bases loaded sacrifice fly from Carlos Garcia followed by a 412 foot homer from suddenly resurgent Victor Guerra, who was inserted into the game after Salvador Gonzalez bruised a knee earlier in the day. “Everyone knows Barbarian could do that,” Garcia said of his teammate. “It was just a matter of being patient.”

It was a huge win for the club, putting them on top of the division, and driving a dagger into the Kernel’s hopes.