Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm 
General Manager

Just for hypothetical purposes, let’s just say you’re the manager and you’re behind 4-3 in the top of the 7th inning against Hawaii. You’ve got a guy on the mound against you with an ERA of 7.36, or whatever. Pick any number you want considerably north of 7. In addition, this guy is right handed. Someone, say, remarkably like Reynaldo Limon (8/7/5 Ratings), just to help you visualize the situation better.

Then let’s say that your lead-off hitter, someone much like Salvador Gonzalez, scratches out a infield single after fouling off five pitches.

Let’s then say you’ve got this All-Star quality bat who destroys right-handed pitching coming up. This guy coming to the plate is about as hot of a hitter as there is in the league right now, and against a league average right hander the guy is OPSing something better than .950, and probably considerably better against someone like Limon. Behind this you’ve got the meat of the order.

So, there’s your situation: behind 4-3, no one out in the 7th with Gonzalez on first and Lucas McNeill (9/9/8/7/7 Ratings) coming to the plate.

I mean, you would feel pretty good, wouldn’t you?

I mean, you would just pull up a chair, pick up the popcorn and watch right?

Wouldn’t you?

Please, say that’s what you would do.

Because this is most definitely NOT what YS9 manager Bret Richards did. Now, realize Richards is a meddling nimcompoop who can’t seem to leave well enough alone. Richards is a guy who likes to insert himself into the game. Make his impression. And so here’s what Bret Richards did.

He called for the good-old sacrifice bunt.

Yes, arguably the worst play you can make in that situation, Richards called for. Realize that on top of just being bad strategy for the 7th inning, and besides the fact that the call requires you to remove the bat from the hands of your most able hitter, you’re asking a guy WHO CANNOT BUNT to advance a runner. This is true fact. As miraculous as Lucas McNeill (9/9/8/7/7 Ratings) might be, the one baseball skill he’s deficient at is bunting—probably because no manager in their right mind has ever asked him to do it before.

But Richards bunted McNeill, with the predictable outcome of Gonzalez being thrown out at second.

Then, to make matters worse, he sent McNeill to steal second on the first pitch, and McNeill was promptly thrown out. Now, mind you, Limon doesn’t hold guys particularly well, but the Tropic’s catcher is Fernando Ortiz, and he has a pretty fair arm as far as big leaguers go, and to be direct McNeill hasn't exactly been trustworthy on the steal this year.

When a manger screws up and it works out, you shake your head and laugh at it. But this kind of a blunder is unconscionable. Sure, the team is winning, but Richards is arguably lucky to be where he’s at. He’s making mistakes that the team is finding ways to overcome in the end, though this time they did not—falling to the Tropics by that same 4-3 score.

If the team loses the division by one game, you can guess why.

So, now let's say you're a GM and you've got a manager like this: what call do you make now? Keep or Cut? Cut or Keep? The future of the civilized world depends on your answer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:32 pm 
PR Director/Historian

Personally, I'd wonder what kind of GM allows his manager to do such things. :headscratch:

Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes
2025 EBA Champions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:56 pm 
General Manager

You would think that would be a disqualifying event, wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:00 pm 
General Manager

And to top it all off, Richards' page says that his managing style is "sabermetric"!

:crazylaugh:

Owner, Phoenix/Traverse City Talons (1995-2036), Global Baseball Consortium

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:00 am 
Ex-GM

That just makes me question ootp. I mean if they has a sabermetric basis wtf is he doing things like that for? Makes all this info seem pointless and you're just relying on a roll of the dice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 am 
General Manager

Yeah, it's interesting to see their workings. On the whole I think he's not really too bad at this stuff. Technically, we were late in the game and I can almost see the game seeing it as a 1-run situation, hence one where the bunt is not a terrible call...until you add the chrome around it that I added. :)

There will, of course, need to be some randomness here. I don't think many teams ever wind up with zero. :)

To point:

- YS9's 9 sacrifice bunts are by far the lowest of any team in the league. By contrast, Montreal has 47 and Madison 46.
- We've issued 14 intentional walks, which is on the very low side (Vancouver has provided at least 59 intentional passes)
- Richards seems to highly value platoon advantage, but that's a gut feel thing from looking at the game logs...no real data.

I'm getting on his case at times...but a part of this is story line. He wants close to $1M and I'm not sure I want to give it to him. So if I let him walk, I'll have something built in there. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:37 am 
PR Director/Historian

RonCo wrote:
Yeah, it's interesting to see their workings. On the whole I think he's not really too bad at this stuff. Technically, we were late in the game and I can almost see the game seeing it as a 1-run situation, hence one where the bunt is not a terrible call...until you add the chrome around it that I added. :)

There will, of course, need to be some randomness here. I don't think many teams ever wind up with zero. :)

To point:

- YS9's 9 sacrifice bunts are by far the lowest of any team in the league. By contrast, Montreal has 47 and Madison 46.
- We've issued 14 intentional walks, which is on the very low side (Vancouver has provided at least 59 intentional passes)
- Richards seems to highly value platoon advantage, but that's a gut feel thing from looking at the game logs...no real data.

I'm getting on his case at times...but a part of this is story line. He wants close to $1M and I'm not sure I want to give it to him. So if I let him walk, I'll have something built in there. :)

That's great work limiting the sacrifice bunts. LBC has 25 somehow. :doh:

I am doing well on the IBB walk front though, we've only issued 6! :pickles: And three of those are by Alfredo Chavez.

Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes
2025 EBA Champions