Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm 
General Manager

Omaha SP Albie Racist

8/19/3012: Omaha SP Albie Racist suffers an injury requiring season ending Radial Nerve decompression surgery after allowing 3 earned runs in 2 innings against California.

Former first round pick Albie Racist had finally made it. After kicking around the minor leagues with some success since being drafted 20th overall in 2028, he had finally earned a call-up that looked like it was going to stick. Albie had pitched some in the BBA the last couple seasons, starting 3 games in 2030 and making 2 starts and 26 appearances as a LOOGY in 2031, but due to the large number of pitchers shipped out by the Barnstormers front office in 2032, Racist had earned a spot in the rotation and was keen to take full advantage.

"I knew I was the only lefty in the rotation among a sea of righties," said Racist, "I also knew if I pitched well it was an opportunity for me to get a stranglehold on a permanent spot for next season as well. There's still alot of question marks and if a guy is going to earn a spot, this was the time."

Racist started the season in the bullpen and showed he belonged in the BBA, posting a 3-0 record with 3 saves and a 2.28 ERA in 47.1 innings of relief work. Then came his chance in the rotation. With Omaha looking to sell pieces at the deadline and moving Gomez, Trujillo, and Totten, Racist was thrust into a mid-rotation starting role. Through 4 starts, he had a 1-0 record and was pitching well. His 5th start in California would prove to be his last for the season though, and perhaps for his career. After putting down the Crusaders in order in the bottom of the first, Racist felt something give in his elbow early in the second inning.

"I called Bjorn to the mound after I walked Watson to tell him I didn't feel right. I thought I'd be good to keep rolling, so they left me in the game."

The second inning proved to be a nightmare for the 23 year old. He walked the first two batters on 5 pitches each before falling behind the third batter of the inning, Brian Sullivan 3-1 before giving up a three-run homerun to the California shortstop. Racist would load the bases again before getting back to back flyouts to end an ugly second inning. In all, Racist threw 40 pitches in his two innings of work, only half of which went for stikes. After the inning, he was removed from the game and looked over by team doctor Sergio Linares who brought the potential severity of the injury to light.

A month later, Racist is still on the DL, still unable to throw or workout. Some team personnel believe that Racist may never pitch again in the majors. When he hears people say this to him he just smiles and replies with, "Well then let me hit."

Racist is a strong hitter for a small framed pitcher. Some scouts believe he could compete for a starting corner OF or first base spot in the majors. Omaha GM Fred Holmes has been less than committal on Racist's future, stating that the team is going to remain in contact with his doctors and make a decision on his future at the appropriate time.

Racist laughs, "The first time I heard that I might not be able to pitch again, I texted Juan, Jose, and Armando and told them I was coming for one of their roster spots. This league hasn't seen the last of me just yet."

Johnson League Champions - 2027
Johnson League Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026
Johnson League Midwest Champions - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027

Google Chat / E-Mail - rubs2212@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:56 pm 
General Manager

I'll give you something for the 'Dragon' He's a Louisville kind of guy!