Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (BBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:41 pm 
General Manager

Did Wolves Become Sellers?

The trade deadline came and went in the BBA and in somewhat surprising fashion, the Madison Wolves appeared to have become sellers rather than potential buyers at the deadline. Sitting in the final post-season spot prior to the deadline, the Wolves chose to send pieces off rather than bring in pieces in order to make a run at a Landis Title. The effect has been as expected as the Wolves have fallen from graces and are now out of the post-season spot thanks to a 3-11 stretch that has seen the club go on two 5-game losing streaks.

The Key Departures
Desiderius Kirshbaum (Louisville)
Albert Gaona (Huntsville)
Luis Soto (Huntsville)

Gone are the Wolves' starting LF, 1B, and often injured and currently out for the remainder of the season ace pitcher. Kirshbaum came in at the start of the season as a defensive guy to help solidify the Wolves OF defense. He had done so and was hitting rather well at the time of the trade, slashing .310/.350/.431 while stealing 59 bases. Fans were stunned the club traded him, and even more stunned he was sent to Louisville.

"We had no intentions of signing Kirshbaum to an extension" said Wolves General Manager Chris Wilson. "He was asking more than we wanted to offer plus we have some younger guys we feel can play LF next season. With expansion looming and our hopes of winning a Landis being fairly slim, we decided to dangle Kirshbaum out there and found a taker."

As for Gaona, he joins his 3rd team of the season by being sent to Huntsville after coming to Madison via a trade with Jacksonville. Despite a power improvement since the trade and numbers that were steadily showing improvement, the Wolves decided that his potential raise going to next season wasn't worth it and too, put him out to trade. "We didn't hate Gaona, but we weren't in love with him either" said Wilson. "We liked the fact he was still under his rookie contract but knew he'd be getting a raise next season via arbitration. We have a log jam of potential 1B/DH type guys right now and decided to get some other pieces of need for the future and moved on from Gaona."

Soto was traded for salary reasons. "Luis has done all he can in a Wolves uniform. He can help us now by clearing cap and finishing the year on Huntsville's roster before free agency" Wilson concluded about the departing bodies.

Key Arrivals
Miguel Datiz
Ton Kouda
Joong-guen Yi
Habib Mahsud Khel
Dave White

Quote:
Disclaimer: I started typing this yesterday. So all has changed now that Datiz suffered a career ending injury

Datiz was brought in to give the Wolves a 3 guys to headline the rotation as the club prepared to move into its new stadium in 2035. His injury may reshape the focus of the club on what it plans to do moving into that new ballpark next season. The plan was for Datiz, Nunez, and Granados to be the big 3 on top. It wasn't a strong big 3, but one the club felt could be successful next season.

Kouda and Yi were some defensive additions with speed. Of course news came out this week from the league office that stolen bases may be hampered by new "league rules" heading into 2035 so suddenly things are changing for the worst for Madison in its approach. Of course this is less than one off-season since the Dusty Rhodes - Enrique Gomez debacle so fucked up decisions are becoming more the norm than the exception in Madison these days.

Khel will be an interesting test case for Madison. He looks a lot like Chet Barrett who the club acquired from Mexico City last week. The club may be reaching a lot in hopes both can turn out similar to Hector Diaz.

LB Surfers
FL Pac Champs: '95

Madison Wolves
JL MW Champs: '99 to 2009, '17, '20, '21
JL Wildcard: '12
JL Champs: '01, '04, '09, '12
FL Heartland Champs: '32
FL Wildcard: '31, ‘33
MBWBA Champs: '04, '09

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:50 pm 
League Director

Datiz's injury throws a wrench into things, it seems.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 pm 
General Manager

RonCo wrote:
Datiz's injury throws a wrench into things, it seems.

Probably means I wait to see what happens in the Expansion draft now with one or two of my guys which will dictate my off-season approach.

I can't believe how much trading Kirshbaum and Gaona has caused my team to go into a complete tailspin. With that said, I believe my team was due for a rough stretch either way, but didn't anticipate it going this badly down the stretch.

LB Surfers
FL Pac Champs: '95

Madison Wolves
JL MW Champs: '99 to 2009, '17, '20, '21
JL Wildcard: '12
JL Champs: '01, '04, '09, '12
FL Heartland Champs: '32
FL Wildcard: '31, ‘33
MBWBA Champs: '04, '09

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:00 pm 
League Director

Amazing drop. Maybe the team just didn't feel the love from the front office. :)