Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (BBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robins Roundup 2032/12
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 pm 
General Manager

Salazar To Robins: I'll Take a Pay Cut to Stay

In a strange twist of events, Enrique Salazar (7/5/9/5/7 Ratings, .305/.378/.568, 22 HR, 71 RBI) has come public to say that he is willing to take a pay cut to stay in Brooklyn. This stems from the Robins season long hardline stance that they will not exceed 8 figures on a player who will only DH. Salazar, just 27 years old, is set to hit the free agent market this winter for the first time. Some rival executives have gone on record saying that Salazar wouldn't be the worst outfielder in the league. In fact, Brooklyn's own early projected corner outfield combo for 2033(Harold Smith (7/8/7/4/8 Ratings, .295/.358/.444, 7 HR, 26 RBI) and Henry Rectenberg (7/6/7/7/6 Ratings, .249/.345/.407, 10 HR, 37 RBI)) aren't much better with the glove. The Robins also have a glut of talented defensive outfielders capable of caddying the slugger.

The flip side is that the Robins have a surplus of outfielders already. Joining Smith and Rectenberg figures to be Alvin Dickinson (6/7/7/6/6 Ratings, .151/.224/.252, 2 HR, 12 RBI) and Julian Rodriguez. Francisco Flores (6/7/6/6/6 Ratings, .306/.387/.463, 7 HR, 33 RBI) and Francisco Chacon could also be back as well. Both have opt out clauses and are coming off poor seasons. Infielders Tony Gustafsen (7/6/1/4/8 Ratings, .298/.328/.391, 2 HR, 61 RBI), Carlos Camacho (6/8/5/6/6 Ratings, .255/.327/.380, 4 HR, 27 RBI), and Calvin Clohessy (5/8/5/5/3 Ratings, .162/.175/.189, 0 HR, 2 RBI) also roam the outfield for certain matchups. Throwing Salazar back in the mix would further complicate this mess. I suppose a trade or two could make things clearer.

The Robins also must improve their starting pitching this winter if they want to compete again. This is going to take money as there won't be many answers coming up through the system in 2033. The pitching platoon had many ups and down last season. Brooklyn would like to return to a more traditional rotation sooner rather then later. Using Salazars $7 million could net them a decent mid tier starter to replace Phillip Morris. If Chacon and Flores opt out, that would be an additional $10 million allowing the Robins to shop in the high end market.

I guess the decision will come down to how much of a hometown discount is Salazar willing to take. Someone familiar with the situation said the number could be as low as $5 million per season and he'd probably go lower with a backloaded contract and incentives. It could end up being a number too good to pass up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 pm 
General Manager

Wait, he'll sign for less than $7.3 million, or a 'pay cut' relative to what he thinks he can get on the open market?

Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 pm 
General Manager

udlb58 wrote:
Wait, he'll sign for less than $7.3 million, or a 'pay cut' relative to what he thinks he can get on the open market?

He's been asking for 6 years at $10 million per all season. I didn't even negotiate because I didn't want that kind of commitment to a DH who can't even hit left hand pitching. Now that the season is over and I had nothing to do, I decided to see what it would take just for the heck of it. So I threw out a ridiculously low offer and he was ok with it. I ended up offering him something like this.....

2033-$4 mil
2034-$5 mil
2036-$6 mil
--------------
player opt out
2037-$8 mil
2038-$10 mil* Plate Appearance Option
2039-$11 mil* Player Option

Don't quote me on the exact terms and there were quite a few bonuses included as well. But he has agreed in principal to sign for 3 years $15 million guaranteed. I just couldn't pass that up. On a somewhat related note, I believe I could still resign Moreno. I'd just have to backload the contract and I'm not sold he'll hold up for that long. Plus I need to allocate some money for pitching. But if Flores and Chacon both opt out, I might non tender Ruiz, shift Blackwell to 3B full time and use that $13 mil to make a last minute offer.