Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (BBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robins ROundup 2032/9
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:36 am 
General Manager

Break Up The Committee

They say that 13 is a lucky number. It's a number so cursed that many people take it on to embrace their fate. The Brooklyn Robins have had exactly 13 pitchers collect a save this season. One by one pitchers applied for the job as closer without success. Then one day Corey Jackson stepped up to embrace the Robins cursed position. Jackson is a 26 year old journeyman swingman. He's pitched in the Seattle, Vancouver, and Halifax organizations. He's been included in 2 trades as a throw in and came to Brooklyn as a waiver claim. After a season filling various roles with the Robins, it appears Jackson has found his home pitching the 9th.

Originally a part of the Robins pitching platoon, Jackson got rocked as a starter. His record was 0-1 with a 7.94 ERA. On the night of May 9th against San Antonio, Jackson gave up 7 runs on 10 hits in just 2 innings. Rumors were swirling that Jackson was about to be DFA yet again. Robins pitching coach Terciero Osen stepped in and saved Jacksons job. "Put him as the closer", Osen said. "He's got 2 spectacular pitches. If he scraps the hanging slider he will succeed." Risky as it was, they put the maligned pitcher with an ERA hovering around eight as the teams new closer. Jackson took the ball and ran with it. As a reliever this season he is 4-0 with 9 saves and a 0.52 ERA. His WHIP is down 1.11, his strikeouts up 3 per nine innings and he has yet to give up a homerun in 34 and 2/3 innings. Right now he may be the hottest pitcher in the BBA, not giving up a single run since June 13th. That span stretches 23 and 2/3 innings of scoreless ball.

As successful as Jackson has been. Rumors have already started that Brooklyn may complete the full out RP conversion on Jackson this off season. It's expected that they will give him the title of permanent closer to start the 2033 season if that happens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm 
League Director

He's an interesting conversion. Any improvement will come primarily off the velo increase. Those slider points will be almost negligible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:09 pm 
General Manager

Ted wrote:
He's an interesting conversion. Any improvement will come primarily off the velo increase. Those slider points will be almost negligible.

I just wonder how that third pitch factors in. This is all theoretical as I don't really want to know all the mechanical workings of OOTP. But how does he use that third pitch? Is it every third pitch or every once and a while just to just to keep the hitters off balance? If this were real life, it would be every once and a while. But if he throws his 4 rated slider every third pitch rather then a 9 rated fastball and 9 rated curve then I absolutely want to get rid of it ASAP regardless if it helps anything else out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm 
League Director

ae37jr wrote:
Ted wrote:

I just wonder how that third pitch factors in. This is all theoretical as I don't really want to know all the mechanical workings of OOTP. But how does he use that third pitch? Is it every third pitch or every once and a while just to just to keep the hitters off balance? If this were real life, it would be every once and a while. But if he throws his 4 rated slider every third pitch rather then a 9 rated fastball and 9 rated curve then I absolutely want to get rid of it ASAP regardless if it helps anything else out.

Great questions. Who knows?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:00 am 
General Manager

ae37jr wrote:
Ted wrote:

You're thinking into it too much. OOTP doesn't actually use individual pitch selection and their ratings. The sum of the whole = the likelihood of a K

Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:20 pm 
General Manager

Various elements of a repertoire do affect ratings and performance, though. I couldn't tell you exactly how, but adding or removing a pitch can, on occasion, make a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:47 am 
General Manager

RonCo wrote:
Various elements of a repertoire do affect ratings and performance, though. I couldn't tell you exactly how, but adding or removing a pitch can, on occasion, make a difference.

Yes, the different pitches affect the stuff ratings: fastball, slider, curve, etc increase stuff vs same-handed batters; cutter, change increase stuff vs opp-handed batters (which is why Kyle always loved pitchers with great cutters and hated fastball/slider/curve pitchers). Removing a pitch (even a 1 rated pitch) NEVER increases the stuff rating.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:03 am 
General Manager

That's not actually true. But we don't just remove pitches. We remove piches, then add to FB and velocity. in that situation, we never see a stuff decrease. That said, removing pitches can and does affect other ratings than stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:05 am 
General Manager

Removing a slider, for example, will probably adjust movement a little.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 pm 
General Manager

RonCo wrote:
Removing a slider, for example, will probably adjust movement a little.

As does a sinker (which is why guys like Skip and Swanson cratered so fast; velo drops, dropping sinker, dropping stuff AND movement)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm 
General Manager

This is why I hate writing articles. I just got done talking about how good this guy was and what does he do? give up an extra inning homerun to cost us the wild card lead.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am 
General Manager

heh.