Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (BBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robins Roundup 2031/9
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:36 pm 
General Manager

Way Too Early Preview: Hitters

Catchers
C Sean Smith (6/8/7/5/5 Talents)
--------------------
C Oliver Carmona (6/5/7/7/6 Talents)
C Ernesto Ruiz (6/5/1/4/10 Talents)
C Carlos Flores (6/7/6/5/7 Talents)

Sean Smith posted a decent, yet unspectacular rookie season. He wasn't really the player Brooklyn had anticipated. He profiles as a power guy. His 2031 season saw higher strikeouts, more plate patience and less power then the book said. Defensively, he plays well beyond his years. Already considered to be a top 10 defensive catcher in the league. The Robins felt confident enough in the switch hitter that they traded away another highly touted catching prospect(Bob Wagner).

Backing up Smith is anyone's guess at this point. Veteran Oliver Carmona was snagged as a minor league free agent this season. The 32 year old catcher once posted a 6 WAR season in the BBA. True, he was horrible in New Orleans last season, but as a backup on a league minimum deal? You could do a lot worse.

If Carmona is the backup, then Ruiz will most likely be on the taxi squad serving as injury depth. The 22 year old catcher is rule 5 eligible for the first time. His 7 contact along with 10 avoid K against left handing pitching makes him a prime Rule 5 pick for a team with a left handed starting catcher. The Robins will need to protect him for sure. Also keep your eye on 18 year old Carlos Flores. His bat is already BBA ready(7/7/6/4/7) against lefties. Red tape aside, Flores should realistically be the guy to make the team. But why risk losing the other two in the process?

There is also an interesting scenario to be considered. Long time Robin Sam Adams will most likely hit the free agent market again this winter. The Robins are said to be in the market for a right handed power hitter. Could the Robins buy another round of the Brookyn Slager?

First Base
1B Holden Blackwell (9/6/3/3/10 Talents)
--------------------------
1B Antonio Rodriguez (7/7/2/3/9 Talents)
1B Carlos Ochoa (6/5/6/4/5 Talents)

Holden Blackwell is a very good defensive third baseman. He is also an amazing first baseman. In a league in which first base defense is frowned upon, the value seems to lie in playing Blackwell at third. The Robins have bought into this theory in recent years. But as the sample size grows, it is becoming apparent that Blackwell hits much better when he plays first. Combine that with the Robins desire to have outstanding defense and it looks as though Blackwell will be playing the right corner next season.

There really aren't any plans to carry a second first baseman at this time. The Robins cross trained Francisco Chacón to play the position this season to lend Blackwell some days off. They could add an outside player via a trade, free agency, or even a rule 5 pick if they see an offensive force available. Internally, Antonio Rodriguez is a young bat who could be used as a DH/Pinch hitter/1B at some point in the season. Though the feeling is that there will be much better external options available. Carlos Ochoa is decent. Like Blackwell, he is right handed. So he doesn't really have a role unless injury occurs.

Infield
2B Carlos Camacho (6/8/8/6/6 Talents)
3B Luis Soto (7/5/7/5/10 Talents)
3B Carlos Ruiz (5/6/5/8/10 Talents)
SS Tony Gustafsen (7/6/1/4/8 Talents)
------------------------
SS Marcellin Clement (5/6/3/5/7 Talents)
SS Calvin Clohessy (6/8/6/5/7 Talents)
SS Arief Alatas (5/6/5/4/8 Talents)
SS Kagehisa Echi (6/6/2/3/9 Talents)

Here is where things become harder to define. Brooklyn has accumulated a lot of very good defensive players capable of playing a lot of positions. The plan is, instead of using 9 starters, the Robins will utilize 10-11, maybe even 12 "starters" to keep players fresh, cover injuries, and play matchups. Carlos Camacho leads off our list of said players. Camacho is expected to play above average defense at second, center and right field. As of this writing he's penciled in to play second base against lefties and CF against righties. His offense is far from elite and his power is still a work in progress. But like a lot of the players we are about to discuss, his value lies in defense, versatility, and lack of holes in his game.

Moving from second to third next year is Carlos Ruiz. Carlos was once thought to be a short stop. As the years have passed, so have grounders to his left and right. His diminished range is now more suitable for third base. Offensively, Ruiz isn't ideal for the hot corner. Not to be discounted though is his uncanny knack of playing above his head. He has consistently been a .275/.360 10 homer 25 double hitter in 450 at bats. That's not terrible production. Ruiz is also capable of playing second and even shortstop in a pinch.

Luis Soto was brought in via trade late in the season. Soto is a poor mans 5 tool player. He can hit for decent contact, decent power, can run, bunt and play defense. In fact, he was a borderline all star in 2030. The Robins played Soto primarily at second down the stretch to get him some reps. If Camacho is needed in the outfield, Soto profiles as a better 2B then Ruiz. Meanwhile, he could also still play SS(+12.4 ZR in 131 games at SS this year). I guess this makes Soto the teams utility infielder as he is the one most likely to rotate around the infield. But in the end he will get 450 at bats like the rest.

Tony Gustafsen showed flashes of brilliance and flashes of inconsistency during his age 20 rookie year. His +10.6 zone rating at SS suggests that he is the slick fielding infielder we'd thought he'd be. His offense was very streaky though. Some months he hit .350, some months .220. His consistency will be key for the Robins next season. Tony is also one of the best outfielders in our system. He is currently getting rep at the corners and should see some time in CF soon(Camacho is learning CF now).

Calvin Clohessy may not make the opening day roster. His offensive development has been a lot slower then expected. But when he does arrive, his defensive presence will define this group. Calvin is a gold glover at 7 different positions. Him, Camacho, and Gustafsen provide as solid of a middle triangle as you'll find. And they could almost rotate daily around the horn.

Marcellin Clement played better then expected during his rookie season. He'll more then likely be a part of the team in a reserve role. Arief Alatas and Kagehisa Echi are essentially younger, better versions of Clement who will eventually push him out. Doubtful that happens in 2032 though. Just keep an eye on them.

Outfield
LF Francisco Chacon (6/6/7/4/6 Talents)
LF Henry Rectenberg (7/6/7/7/7 Talents)
RF Francisco Flores (6/7/6/6/7 Talents)
RF Julian Rodriguez (7/6/1/6/9 Talents)
DH Enrique Salazar (7/5/9/5/7 Talents)
----------------------
LF Harold Smith (7/8/7/4/8 Talents)
LF Dan Merrill (6/6/7/5/6 Talents)

Going into 2032, the outfield is loaded with left handed hitters. Chacon and Flores were brought in to stabilize a bad outfield. They both played beyond expectations and made the all star team. It's hard to believe Enrique Salazar is still just 26 years old. This could be his last season in a Brooklyn uniform as he is set to hit free agency following the '32 season. The Robins are not keen on paying DH's a lot of money. Henry Recteberg rounds out the starting outfield. The 18 year old should be a solid offensive player.

Julian Rodriguez appears to be an odd man out. Brooklyn may try to flip him for a similar right handed bat. Or they may just use him as a bench role player. Harold Smith was last years first round pick. Unlike everyone else in the outfield scene.... he bats righty. He isn't quite ready yet, but he's close. I'd expect to see him in Brooklyn by June. Dan Merrill is decent hitter that deserves a chance somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:01 pm 
General Manager

Nice look in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:15 am 
General Manager

I think 1B defense gets overlooked in most leagues. I've certainly stuck someone there before for the sake of keeping the bat in the lineup, but I try to have at least an average 1B. I'd assume a good 1B or better reduces the errors of your infield defense as a whole, but I'm not sure how OOTP handles that. Has anyone done any testing on that?

2032 Johnson League Atlantic Division Champions
2032 Johnson League GM of the Year

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 am 
PR Director/Historian

bcslouck wrote:
I think 1B defense gets overlooked in most leagues. I've certainly stuck someone there before for the sake of keeping the bat in the lineup, but I try to have at least an average 1B. I'd assume a good 1B or better reduces the errors of your infield defense as a whole, but I'm not sure how OOTP handles that. Has anyone done any testing on that?

I haven't done any testing, but I definitely prefer a good defensive 1B. Part of the reason I like Simpson so much.

And just thinking about it now, I'd like to see OOTP add a rating for handling poor throws.

Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes
2025 EBA Champions

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am 
General Manager

Nice read.

W/L Record: 1084 - 1184
JL Pacific Champs '10, '12, '21, '22

California Crusaders GM '96 - '05
W/L Record: 873 - 747
JL Pacific Champs '02
Landis Champs '02

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:43 pm 
League Director

bcslouck wrote:

I haven't done any specific research. Since acquiring Chris Workman and his limited range at 2B, I've prioritized 1B with better range and defense at first and Workman has had much better defensive metrics, so I think it does matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:24 am 
General Manager

I love the versatility of your defense. Makes it way less stressful when guys go down with injury.

Johnson League Champions - 2027
Johnson League Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026
Johnson League Midwest Champions - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027

Google Chat / E-Mail - rubs2212@gmail.com