Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do you like having interleague play in the BBA?
Yes, I like interleague play in the BBA 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
No, I do not like interleague play in the BBA 58%  58%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Interleague
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am 
PR Director/Historian

This is NOT an official binding poll regarding the future of interleague play in the Brewster. I just want to get a feel for where the league stands on it.

Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes
2025 EBA Champions

Post subject: Re: Interleague
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am 
General Manager

I like it but not too much of it. Doing a home and home with each team in one of the divisions each year, and alternating, works for me (I believe that's how we do it now.).

I like how the NFL does it, where you play one of the divisions each year, and play the team that finished in the same place as you in the other 3 divisions (ex: 4 vs. NFC North, 1 each against 1st place in other divisions). We could do that, but wouldn't shake things up as much since we have 2 divisions in each league. Also different since they only play 1 game instead of series. But I like the structure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:50 am 
PR Director/Historian

Very close to my thoughts, I like the idea of limited interleague, especially alternating leagues/year so that you can keep the home/away balanced without overloading the number of interleague games per year.

Though it would cause more work for the scheduler, I really like your idea of borrowing from the NFL. Maybe there's something I can do with that.

Since 2026

2025 EBA Champions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am 
General Manager

i like the idea of interleague as long as everyone within the division is balanced. Like the others said, maybe a home and home with each team from the opposite league.

"To give anything less than your best is the sacrifice the gift"- Steve Prefontaine
"When my time on earth is gone and my activities here are past, I want them to bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass."- Bobby Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:35 am 
General Manager

I admit to having never understood the appeal of inter-league play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:50 pm 
General Manager

I'm against interleague play in general. If we have it, I prefer how we did it this year by just doing 1 league at a time and not play everyone.

LB Surfers
FL Pac Champs: '95

Madison Wolves
JL MW Champs: '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '17, '20, '21
JL Wildcard: '12
JL Champs: '01, '04, '09, '12
MBWBA Champs: '04, '09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm 
General Manager

I assume people like it for some aspect of newness or difference in opposition. But the whole idea of divisions and leagues are useful for balance of competitive environment. I mean, it sucks to lose a wildcard because your division played a harder inter-league schedule than the other division in the league.

Removing inter-league play makes the playing field even for wildcards, and depending on the schedule itself, even for division winners.

Inter-league play, in general, screws that up. It also takes away the flair of the Landis...but that's a matter of opinion rather than fact. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 pm 
General Manager

I would be interested in views out there supporting interleague play for something other than "I dunno...I just kind of like it."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:19 pm 
General Manager

Isn't it already uneven if San Antonio plays Las Vegas (just a random example) more than the JLA teams do? Or you could go the other way and say San Antonio plays in a division with every team other than them and Las Vegas are under .500. Where the JLA has 5/7 going to be at least .500. I know it varies year to year. But can't the principal of divisions itself can be viewed as uneven for Wild Card teams?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm 
General Manager

True. The "purest" approach is the old days of baseball where you had one league and everyone played themselves.

The use of wild cards automatically adds in some level of imbalance. That said, the baseline with no inter division play is still the same. Every team plays every team in their division the same amount and the teams in the other divisions the dame amount. Theoretically, anyway. :)

The fact that "it's already a little cattywampus" isn't a good reason to make it worse.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm 
General Manager

But...just to be clear..."I dunno...I just kind of like it" is a perfectly good reason to do interleague. This thing is supposed to be fun, you know? You don't need a reason to like something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:32 pm 
General Manager

I voted no, I don't like it. I think it's more fun with a smaller opponent pool because you end up knowing your opponents a lot better. This season I took "scouting opponents to find a weakness" to the extreme. It was great when playing fellow Johnson League teams because I could go back to my notes later in the season and be like... "Las Vegas still has 4 range Archer at second and 3 range Riddler at first VS RHP. Start a righty and stack the lineup with lefty pull groundball hitters and we might have a shot." Yet whenever I played a Frick team it felt more like a choir. Cause I was unfamiliar with the team to begin with and put in a lot of work just for one series. If we only played our own league I'd probably immerse myself more in this strategy.

Like any rule though. Either way it plays out I'm fine with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm 
League Director

Lane's already heard my diatribe on it, but in a league without real life fans, I just don't see the point to inter-league play. It's a gimmick. All it does is add another potentially unfair variable to the schedule. Your two basic scheduling options are:

1) completely balanced - the fairest schedule (this could include interleague, but if teams from opposing leagues only meet in the landis, why? All interleague play does is add randomness to a schedule trying to figure out who is the best in each league)
With wild cards, this would be the best. Some have argued, if you do this, why have divisions at all? It's a valid question. I think the answer is that divisions are fun. Winning a division gives you something, even if you get knocked out early in the playoffs.

So if you are going to have divisions, then ...
2) unbalanced/division heavy - this is inherently unfair in terms of schedule, but at least you know who the best in a division is. It has the potential to be unfair for the wild cards. In my mind, if we are doing this, then the remainder of the schedule should be as fair as possible. In that scenario, inter-league has no place. It DOES change divisional outcomes based on who gets to play the weaker division in the other league each year. There's a good 538 article on it somewhere if you are skeptical. Also, the these things even out over time argument is inherently misleading. Mostly because the amount of time it takes for things to "even out" is literally hundreds of seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:50 pm 
Commissioner

I suppose we could drop it. Is this a call for that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:00 pm 
League Director

recte44 wrote:

Probably more of a response to my diatribe in the GB scheduling thread about it to get a feel for where people stood. I absolutely detest interleague play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:25 pm 
PR Director/Historian

recte44 wrote:

I'm not calling for it, but I'm open to whatever the league wants.

With a 162 game schedule, there is going to be imbalance if there's no interleague.

If you want no interleague and a balanced schedule then you get a 156 game season.

I'm mostly just calling for a new or revised schedule to go back to primarily 3 game series and to get rid of the back to back 4 gamers against the same team.

Since 2026

2025 EBA Champions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 pm 
General Manager

Personal opinion...I would do fewer games to get rid of interleague play if that's what it took.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 pm 
General Manager

RonCo wrote:
Personal opinion...I would do fewer games to get rid of interleague play if that's what it took.

i don't want to mess with the 162 but if people want interleague dropped I wont fight that part of it.

"To give anything less than your best is the sacrifice the gift"- Steve Prefontaine
"When my time on earth is gone and my activities here are past, I want them to bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass."- Bobby Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 pm 
General Manager

I voted that I like it, but I can see a reason to drop it. Sure, it adds randomness, but there's a fair amount of randomness no matter what. I mean, any team that faced us while Rutledge was hurt or the offense was slumping faced a drastically different team than the one that had Rutledge, Hahn, and Noboru hitting 2-5 each a week.

I'm down for a completely balanced schedule with divisions (divisions are fun because it keeps more teams in the race for longer)

2031, 2029 JLA Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:09 pm 
PR Director/Historian

udlb58 wrote:
I mean, any team that faced us while Rutledge was hurt or the offense was slumping faced a drastically different team than the one that had Rutledge, Hahn, and Noboru hitting 2-5 each a week.

this is a big reason I don't like the fact that in this schedule any team might play another team 8 straight games in a situation like this.

Since 2026

2025 EBA Champions