Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which of the free agent pitchers to be should Vancouver management try to resign?
Alfredo Granados 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Antonio Correa 64%  64%  [ 7 ]
Juan Hernandez 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Lambert Snabel 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Let them all go and reap the comp picks 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Who to keep?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:21 pm 
General Manager

Alfredo Granados, Antonio Correa, Juan Hernandez and Lambert Snabel are all potentially leaving this offseason. All are willing to resign but all are asking for more money than any of them are worth. So can we really afford to let all 4 go and remain competitive? Who to keep and who to let go?

W/L Record: 1084 - 1184
JL Pacific Champs '10, '12, '21, '22

California Crusaders GM '96 - '05
W/L Record: 873 - 747
JL Pacific Champs '02
Landis Champs '02

Post subject: Re: Who to keep?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 pm 
General Manager

I'd let Granados walk for sure. He'll be 32 in year one of a deal. So even a three year deal would take him to 35. Being a power pitcher with mediocre movement, any drop in velocity/stuff will ruin him. He's also pitched a lot of innings for his age and k/9 dropped this season. Too much of a risk IMO. I'd offer him arbitration and if he sits out there long enough, bring him back on a shorter deal, but would stand firm at no more then 2 years(preferably one).

Correa would be my choice to extend. I've already targeted him as a guy to keep my eye on if he becomes a free agent. He's a rock solid all around pitcher who seems to be getting better with age. He is also very durable having never been on the DL and never had any injury related to his hand/arm/back. He should be a top pitcher for at least 3 more years, maybe 4-5 if things break right.

Hernandez is kind of meh to me. I think he's a product of your park. He doesn't strikeout as many guys as you think he should and can struggle against lefty heavy lineups. I ran into the same dilemma with Sam Adams a few years ago. Do you pay the guy based on numbers inflated by your park? Or do you cut the cord and try to find someone similar and cheaper?

Snabel is the crafty lefty that should stay productive a few more years. The thing I dislike about him is that he is already making $13 million and is really only a #4 starter on a good team. I'm assuming like all players he wants a raise. You can't give him $15 million. Just no.

I forget all the names, but in doing a free agent primer I saw that there could potentially be a lot of solid starters available. If I were running Vancouver I'd probably try to lock up Correa and let the rest test the market. Offer them all arbitration and that will help ensure that the others will hang on the market long enough to have a chance to get them at a more reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:15 pm 
General Manager

I don't see how Granados or Hernandez sign soon enough to net a comp pick if they want more than $10m in free agency... Snabel isn't comp eligible....

The only guy who would likely actually net you a comp pick is Correa, who has also been very good and probably worth $9m+ for Vancouver.

2029 JLA Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:43 pm 
General Manager

udlb58 wrote:
I don't see how Granados or Hernandez sign soon enough to net a comp pick if they want more than $10m in free agency... Snabel isn't comp eligible....

The only guy who would likely actually net you a comp pick is Correa, who has also been very good and probably worth $9m+ for Vancouver.

Im aware Snabel isn't eligible but with all the money that's still not tied up around the league, I think they will all sign before the comp cutoff. And yea Correa is easily the best one to sign but he is also the one asking for the most. 16 mil a year right now for 6 years.

W/L Record: 1084 - 1184
JL Pacific Champs '10, '12, '21, '22

California Crusaders GM '96 - '05
W/L Record: 873 - 747
JL Pacific Champs '02
Landis Champs '02

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:55 pm 
General Manager

Ouch. Sounds like he hits free agency to me. But maybe my way isn't the right one.