Welcome to The Brewster Baseball Association (MBWBA) Forums!!!

Defeating the Baseball System since 1973!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 pm 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 5078
Three sims in and a bunch of teams still over. Come on people...

Atlantic City
Huntsville
Las Vegas (seriously?)
Madison
Montreal

_________________
Brett Schroeder
Career W/L Record: 1957 - 1931
Vancouver Mounties GM '10 - present
W/L Record: 1084 - 1184
JL Pacific Champs '10, '12, '21, '22

California Crusaders GM '96 - '05
W/L Record: 873 - 747
JL Pacific Champs '02
Landis Champs '02


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:00 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:23 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Mission, KS
bschr682 wrote:
Three sims in and a bunch of teams still over. Come on people...
Huntsville


Unless I am missing something (which is possible) I show we are currently $1,309,000 under the cap.

_________________
Scott Murphy GM
Huntsville Phantoms


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Posts: 3610
Players in the minors count only, like 10% or so.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 am 
Offline
Vice Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 8105
No, he's right. That needs to be fixed, Matt.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:04 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 95
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
I thought we go by the player payroll number which mine is $109,180,500. The front office screen in the game also shows the salary cap and shows how you are relative to it and mine shows in the green.

Let me know if I'm missing something.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:25 am 
Offline
League Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Posts: 2350
I'm a bit confused. I thought we decided we were going by the payroll listing under reports & info->finances report. By that everyone is good. The salaries list under the front office tab doesn't take into account partial salaries for players on two way deals and doesn't get traded salaries right.

_________________
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:32 am 
Offline
Vice Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 8105
Then we're being reactionary instead of proactive. There's no penalty for going over the cap after the year's over; what happens if you call up the players in the minors?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 am 
Offline
League Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Posts: 2350
aaronweiner wrote:
Then we're being reactionary instead of proactive. There's no penalty for going over the cap after the year's over; what happens if you call up the players in the minors?



Then you are over the cap and need to fix it. Both ways have problems. Both require rechecks throughout the season. This way is easier. The other seems technically more correct, but it depends on how we are interpreting the cap. The minors issue isn't really the big one. Trades are though. When you make a trade, is the cap hit the entire salary or just the portion you are paying for the remainder of the season? It can be a huge difference. When we talked about it before last season, Recte said he'd always just gone by the financial reports number because it was easier. I see the merits in both systems.

_________________
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 am 
Offline
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:14 pm
Posts: 21632
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
None of these teams are over the cap right now. You have to go off of "Player Payroll" on the Team Finances page. I'm highest at $109,632,500.

_________________
Matt Rectenwald
Commissioner, GM: Las Vegas Hustlers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:59 am
Posts: 5594
Yeah I may be over. Need some clarification. My front page says I'm at $107 as does the finances page. But when I look at my player salaries page I'm at $110.7. A huge oversight on my part if I am over and will be easily fixable before the next sim if that's the case. I assume the player salaries page is correct.

_________________
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers
FL Pac Champs: '95

Madison Wolves
JL MW Champs: '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '17, '20, '21
JL Wildcard: '12
JL Champs: '01, '04, '09, '12
MBWBA Champs: '04, '09

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Posts: 3610
I think the game actively controls your cap--meaning it will not allow you to go over...or at least warns you if you so. I'm pretty sure it kept me from calling up as many minor league players as I would have liked last season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:39 am 
Offline
Vice Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 8105
Did it, Ron? Because if it doesn't we need a set of penalties for exceeding the cap.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:40 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Posts: 3610
aaronweiner wrote:
Did it, Ron? Because if it doesn't we need a set of penalties for exceeding the cap.


Per this report, there are no teams over cap: http://montybrewster.net/MBBA/OOTPFiles ... eport.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:48 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Posts: 3610
7teen wrote:
Yeah I may be over. Need some clarification. My front page says I'm at $107 as does the finances page. But when I look at my player salaries page I'm at $110.7. A huge oversight on my part if I am over and will be easily fixable before the next sim if that's the case. I assume the player salaries page is correct.


You are fine.

That $110.7M includes "$3.5M" of minsal contracts that are in the minors. While those players are actually at AAA,they get paid only 16% of that salary, hence that is all that counts on your cap. 16% of $3.5M is $560K. Make the proper reductions, and your salary cap payroll is $2.9M less than $110.7M...which adds up to $107.8M...which is pretty much exactly what the payroll report shows.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Posts: 3610
If you move a guy on your 40-man roster from the minors to he majors, you'll see an increase of about $420K to your "payroll" because some of that $500K is already included. If you move a guy who is not on your 40-man roster from the minors to the majors, you'll see your "payroll" jump exactly $500K, because he becomes a new guy on your accounts register.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Posts: 3610
aaronweiner wrote:
Did it, Ron? Because if it doesn't we need a set of penalties for exceeding the cap.


*I think* the only way that the game allows you to be over is if you trade for a contract that puts you over. I assume that if that happens that game will chug along just fine until you make any other move. I could be wrong about that, though. I should probably test it sometime.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline
Vice Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 8105
RonCo wrote:
aaronweiner wrote:
Did it, Ron? Because if it doesn't we need a set of penalties for exceeding the cap.


*I think* the only way that the game allows you to be over is if you trade for a contract that puts you over. I assume that if that happens that game will chug along just fine until you make any other move. I could be wrong about that, though. I should probably test it sometime.


And that shouldn't happen ever.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:41 pm 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Posts: 3610
aaronweiner wrote:
RonCo wrote:
aaronweiner wrote:
Did it, Ron? Because if it doesn't we need a set of penalties for exceeding the cap.


*I think* the only way that the game allows you to be over is if you trade for a contract that puts you over. I assume that if that happens that game will chug along just fine until you make any other move. I could be wrong about that, though. I should probably test it sometime.


And that shouldn't happen ever.


First off, I could be wrong. Perhaps the game polices this on export (for example, when you export with fewer than full rosters, the game does a check and asks if that's okay...or it will tell you various other things). So, my assumption could be wrong.

However, ... I think that mechanically, and pragmatically, the game pretty much has to let that dynamic happen in order to facilitate proper trading. Example: If Chris (with his $108M payroll) trades for a $5M player, but has the ability to get down under $110M. The trade should get processed, then the team takes whatever actions it needs to take. In our online league environment you can argue that the commish could do the other salary clearing actions first, then process the trade...which is (1) true, but (2) possibly a pain in the ass at times...but that concept doesn't really work in any non-online league. No team would release players or demote them to the minors on the chance that a trade might happen.

There are, of course, other design solutions to solve that problem, but the fact of OOTP development is that as remarkable and beautiful as the game is, these kinds of features get "implemented/fixed" piecemeal.

Regardless, there are no teams in the BBA who are over salary cap.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline
Vice Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 8105
RonCo wrote:
First off, I could be wrong. Perhaps the game polices this on export (for example, when you export with fewer than full rosters, the game does a check and asks if that's okay...or it will tell you various other things). So, my assumption could be wrong.

However, ... I think that mechanically, and pragmatically, the game pretty much has to let that dynamic happen in order to facilitate proper trading. Example: If Chris (with his $108M payroll) trades for a $5M player, but has the ability to get down under $110M. The trade should get processed, then the team takes whatever actions it needs to take. In our online league environment you can argue that the commish could do the other salary clearing actions first, then process the trade...which is (1) true, but (2) possibly a pain in the ass at times...but that concept doesn't really work in any non-online league. No team would release players or demote them to the minors on the chance that a trade might happen.

There are, of course, other design solutions to solve that problem, but the fact of OOTP development is that as remarkable and beautiful as the game is, these kinds of features get "implemented/fixed" piecemeal.

Regardless, there are no teams in the BBA who are over salary cap.



Yes, but one could pretty much argue that those things happen simultaneously.

We need some kind of protocol in place so teams can't exceed the salary cap.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:13 pm 
Offline
General Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Posts: 3610
I don't disagree, but again:

1) At this time there are no teams over the salary cap
2) The game manages this fairly well on the whole (and may even manage it perfectly now...I just don't know)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ae37jr, udlb58 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group